Foundation problem with second floor washer. Please help!!!!

piinkheartzMarch 1, 2011

We want to put a top loading washing machine in our kitchen, the only thing we are worried about the foundation of the home ( built in the 50's). Is it possible if the washer is used upstairs over time it could cause damage to the foundation? Like causing cracks in the ceiling below and cracked beams? Also will getting something like floor pads for the washer make a difference? Please help!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fahrenheit_451

Too many variables to advise you properly over the internet with so little information to go on. Enlisting the help of a Structural Engineer would serve you better.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nerdyshopper

We had an unfinished full basement with the washroom on the main floor. Never worried at all about foundations which were cement blocks. No ceilings to crack so I won't comment there. Did have leaks and water all over the floor several times, and that would be an issue for you. As far as the structure, when we moved into a new one story home with the wash room over a crawl space I was worried about the reputation of front loaders for shaking badly unless on solid concrete. I reinforced a part of the washroom floor by screwing a 3X5 piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the old floor in the corner where the washer and dryer were. Then I put in a Hardyboard cement board (1/4 ") on top. Finally we put in a new tile floor using thinset and epoxy grout. No problems now with our Samsung 337. Of course it has anti vibration control.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?
A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash...
mark40511
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™