Is there a trick to drying sheets?

foodonastumpMarch 2, 2014

Sorry if this has been addressed before a million times, my google search didn't find a discussion.

A couple (few?) years ago I bought a Samsung WF520ABP washer because I needed a new washer, and a matching DV520AEP dryer because, well, it matched.

I'm no laundry expert so these suit me fine, washer washes with no mold issues, dryer dries, EXCEPT sheets and blankets. They roll up in a ball and don't dry. Short of interrupting he cycle every 15 minutes or so to unroll, shake them out, and restart, I can't get them to dry. More often than not I end up spreading them out over chair backs and sofas to finish air drying.

While this would occasionally happen with dryers in my past, this is BY FAR the worst. Any hints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrb627

Dryer Loading.

When I load sheets into the dryer, I typically load the flat sheet in the back, then the fitted in the front, and the pillow cases go towards the back with the flat sheet. Amazingly, they do stay separated through the cycle.

Of course, I have a different brand dryer. But give it a shot and see if your results change.

MRB

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:15AM
dave1812

place tennis balls into white socks (to prevent staining) and throw those into the dryer with sheets. I usually use 3 of them (in separate socks, of course).

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 2:27PM
dadoes

There are a (very) few dryers that reverse the tumble direction every few minutes through the cycle to help avoid large/bulky items from balling-up.

Some dryers may have baffles (fins, vanes) that are designed to toss items back-and-forth between front and back of the drum.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:23PM
sparky823

When you get them out of the washer, fold each sheet like you are going to put them in the closet, not that neatly though. Throw in the dryer and dry as usual. See if this keeps them from balling up. It does work.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 7:54PM
coco4444

Line drying! I have the exact same problem, though not always as bad as you describe. I have Kenmore made by Samsung W/D, so not sure if it's a problem with this brand.
I do find line-drying the way to go with sheets. Too bad we're still enveloped by winter where I live!

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 6:04PM
larsi_gw

This is the EXACT reason we kept our Samsung dryer only about 2 weeks. The washer was fine, but the dryer sent sheets and most clothes loads into a giant ball. The sheets were all balled up, moist and wet on the inside, hot and wrinkled on the outside. Awful. For me, Miele and Electrolux with the reverse tumbling dryer seems to be our only solution!

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:12PM
dave1812

ive had a samsung 520 dryer for several years. it doesn't ball up "most clothes". in fact in hardly ever does. and i already gave a tip on how to avoid that when drying sheets. some people just can't figure out how to use appliances...

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 3:08PM
whirlpool_trainee

I've tried pretty much everything with my Bosch Axxis: large loads, small loads, folding styles, dryer balls... nothing stops my microfiber covers from balling but line-drying.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 5:25PM
dave1812

certain microfiber material is almost as self-adhering as velco. :)

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 5:32PM
whirlpool_trainee

Certainly.

What I have witnessed is that the microfiber sheets get sucked onto the lint filter inlet just enough to stay there for a few moments and then get twisted up as the drum turns - almost like having a piece of laundry caught in the door seal and then turning the dryer on.

This video shows something similar happen to small items:

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothes stuck on lint filter

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:04PM
whirlpool_trainee

Anybody wants a

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung burrito?

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:06PM
mrb627

Wow! That is pretty awful performance for an expensive dryer. I do agree with the second video, the drum isn't turning fast enough.

MRB

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 7:37PM
dave1812

if my dryer did that, I'd be pissed.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Do HE TL washer really Clean?
I have had a traditional Maytag TL washer for the last...
jungleexplorer
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™