Replacing a Trane XL 1800 5-ton

ChristopherTAugust 20, 2014

The dual compressor on our 5-ton Trane XL 1800 installed in 2001 blew recently so we need to replace the whole unit. Honestly, we learned later that we got scammed by the builder and his A/C person, the builder was part-owner of the A/C company! We did not know a thing then being our first home ever. The 5-ton unit was totally overkill for an area about +/- 1500 sq. ft. Our house is an open concept design i.e. family, kitchen, breakfast all under one big area. The blown A/C covered a large front entry area, one bedroom, one bathroom, the kitchen. Yes, they put in a 5-ton unit for these areas! We were told now that we cannot go with a smaller, less tonnage unit due to the fact that the unit in the attic must match up with the unit outside. So we are looking at replacing with another 5-ton Trane which was quoted at $4,700 plus intallation or may be a Carrier, we were told that it is also good and more reasonably priced, for which we don't have a quote yet. We are looking for something reliable, high seer, variable speed. Any input or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Dumb idea.

You need a properly sized system both outdoor condenser paired with a matching indoor air handler.

Look at Trane XR15 or XL15i, AmStd Heritage 15.

IMO

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:47AM
ChristopherT

@ tigerdunes

Thanks for the input. I do understand that both outdoor and indoor has to match up thus the reason why I am looking for another 5-ton outdoor condenser. I don't want to change the indoor air handler unless I absolutely have to do so because of additional expenses. Is it possible to keep the indoor air handler and go with a less tonnage outdoor condenser? Thanks tigerdunes.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 11:36PM
tigerdunes

As I said, dumb idea.

Solving one problem and making another.

Get a complete matching system both indoor and outdoor units properly sized.

I am done here.

Good Luck...you may need it...

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 8:11AM
mike_home

Your coil should be changed since you are going from an R22 to R410 refrigerant. The blower in the 5 ton air handler should be able to adjusted so the air speed can accommodate a 4 ton condenser.

You are going to have a mismatched system, so the SEER rating will be unknown.

The air handler will need to be replaced in the next 5-10 years. So you plan to still be in this house, change it now and start enjoying it.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
No Fully Trained Mini Split Installers
Reading threads about mini split heat pumps I got curious...
nerdyshopper
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
Can you vent a cooking range into a chimney?
I know you can't vent into fireplace chimney or one...
BrightFutureFoods
Sponsored Products
Spanish Mosaic Six Light LED Pendant In Polished Chrome And Hand Assembled Alaba
$878.00 | Bellacor
Upper Bounce 6 Pole Trampoline Enclosure for Trampoline Frames with 6 W-Shaped L
$124.35 | Hayneedle
Grillbot Grill Cleaner - GBU101
$119.95 | Hayneedle
Hurricane Glass Three-Light Pendant In Bronze
$264.10 | Bellacor
WAC Modern Forms | Glacier 21in Wall Light
$319.00 | YLighting
Tech Lighting | Cabo Pendant
$173.60 | YLighting
Black & Decker HepaFresh Air Cleaner - BXAP250
$139.99 | Hayneedle
8 Inch Wide Round Bulkhead -Black