Pros and cons of packaged gas/electric units in Los Angeles

hamconsultingAugust 23, 2012

My co-worked says that he got a Trane packaged gas/electric unit and he's been very happy with it.

What are the pros and cons of a packaged gas/electric unit compared to a split system (gas furnace, coils, and outside a/c condenser)?

I'm thinking that I could put this gas/electric packaged unit (like a Trane XL13c or Trane XL14c -- not sure which one fits my needs better) in the attic.

My house:

1. Single story 1430 sqft in Los Angeles, built in 1952

2. Foundation = raised with 30" crawl space

3. Insulation= R-30 Insulation in attic; no insulation on walls or floor

4. 13 double-pane windows throughout house; 3 single pane windows in front (16 windows total)

5. Dark brown cement tile roof

6. Exterior doors = 2 (old wood front door with top half of door with glass panes; and new aluminum back door with quarter window)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

How do you heat and cool your home now?

Where is your ductwork system located?

That is a shallow crawl space?

Generally the downside on package units is efficiencies both AC and gas furnace. However, for your location a package unit might be indicated. The unit would have to be placed outside on a pad (concrete preferred) with good access to your ductwork system. However, if you have existing split system, there would need to be a very good reason to switch to a package system because obviously Bldg modification would be required.

IMO

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamconsulting

I have a split system and I'm no longer considering a packaged unit because I don't want it on the roof since my ducts are in the attic.

Installation of the packaged unit in the attic is not an option as far as I can tell and I wanted the packaged unit located where the current furnace is at. There's already electric and gas outlets up there and a return line for water.

Initially, I was not thinking about the building code modifications. I was just thinking in terms of the components in terms of reliability, efficiency, cost, and maintenance. I thought it would be similar to installing a separate washer and gas dryer compared to installing a single unit that does both wash and dry.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
can people share their weekly propane use and square footage, please?
With the coldest weather in roughly 20 years here,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Manual J -> S ->D
JSHR: 0.81 MJ8 Tons: 3.03 SqFt/Ton: 1667 CFM/SqFt:...
Brian S
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™