Replace furnace while doing AC and coil?

JustaKidAugust 15, 2011

So I am going ahead and replacing a condenser and a coil, and my furnace is about 20 years old but still working fine. Should I bite the bullet and do the furnace as well, or save a few grand and hold off on doing the furnace until I have to? I have posted before, this property is a rental likely to be sold within a few years. Will I get hit on home inspection bc of a 25 year old furnace and should I just go ahead and do it now? Will a furnace put in well today basically still be new in 5 years? Is there labor cost synergy substantial enough to merit me paying that money out now? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

kid

first it would be best for you and forum members to keep all your posts in the original thread rather than multiple threads.

one can have simple repairs to a furnace this age. the major problems would be a cracked heat exchanger and a blown blower motor. this would make a repair to a furnace this age not cost effective.

I prefer a matched system. you are btm fishing since this is a rental unit. I don't care for either the Lennox or Rheem furnace quoted. You could do better but I understand the choice since it is rental. If money is not an issue, then I would go on and replace the furnace due to its age and just be done with it. You do want to properly weigh all warranty differences.

You will get a better overall price now replacing everything now rather than wait and replace an old furnace at a later date. There is little to no value on old furnaces whether one yr old or five yr old. If your existing furnace was 10 yrs old or less with a problem free history, I would not replace it. A 20+ yr old furnace is an entirely different matter.

make certain you qualify the dealers providing quotes.

IMO

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 7:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JustaKid

Thanks again tiger, will keep posts consolidated. You dont like the furnaces for what reasons, realiability, efficiency, what? The Lennox dealer, although I am not thrilled with the brand, came highly recommended and has the service contract for the common area HVAC system and has done several of the neighbors units. I have checked his references and BBB. Are these warranties usually transferrable? Thanks

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Heat Pump.....will it really save me money?
I recently moves into a new house in Mass, a 1650 sq...
Jinx_1832
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Heat Pump in Northern Virginia
Does anyone have advice on which contractors may be...
jbedford004
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Sponsored Products
Vertical Rim Lock Set with Black Porcelain Knobs
Signature Hardware
Gama Sonic Posts Royal 3-Head Outdoor Weathered Bronze Solar Lamp Post GS-98T-WB
Home Depot
Tech Lighting | ELEMENT - 3 Inch LED Wall Wash Trim
$104.00 | YLighting
Celina LED Chandelier In Dark Rust And Snow White Glass
$414.00 | Bellacor
GlideRite 5-inch Satin Nickel Craftsman Series Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 25)
Overstock.com
Stainless Steel Lid Set
$36.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™