Recommendation for Window AC - yet another unit has failed

pgtrJuly 2, 2012

I bought a 10,000 BTU Amana unit back in the 90s. Worked great for about 12 years in my 400ish SF workshop even in triple digit summers - could cool the room down quickly too (well insulated, only 2 small windows). It finally died and I decided to simply replace it at the time.

Bought a Frigidaire 12,000 BTU which probably has a much higher SEER rating. Brought it home and was surprised how much smaller this unit was physically. Installing it turned out to be a PITA as I had to hoist it up and in from the outside - was NOT a slide-in unit. 2,000 more BTU and it never cooled as effectively, made more noise - didn't move as much air... Died in less than 2 years. Got a new unit under warranty. Again less than 2 years and it has failed. Am waiting to get this one back from the shop (warranty).

At this point I just as soon sell the 'repaired' unit (warranty is approaching the end) and find something that is both more effective and might stand a chance of lasting longer. For that matter maybe one that is generally considered more 'serviceable'.

10,000-15,000 BTU

Slide in chassis

120VAC

Thermostatic switch (nice to have but required)

SEER rating not important - maybe lower is in fact better

Any suggestions for brands to look at or avoid?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JHZR2

I would go with friedrich. Far quieter and very efficient and well made. Not that much pricier than the full Chinese junk sold by the other manufacturers. Unfortunately even friedrich has offshored it's manufacturing to Mexico. That's lost American jobs, but it's what you have to support if you want AC.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™