SEER Rating

RetrieverJuly 20, 2012

So the other day I noticed a strange rattling sound coming from my new Lennox outdoor unit and it was loud! I then received an error code on my t-stat and called the company that installed the system about 1 month ago. Well the tech came out and added a "hard start kit" and things are fine now. While he was working on the unit he found the yellow energy sticker. It stated that the SEER of the unit was 14.5, but the brochure I received from the dealer said the unit at my tonnage was 16.7 SEER. Why would there be such a discrepancy? Did I get something other than what I paid for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

SEER on only 1 piece of equipment is not very meaningful. The combined SEER of the outdoor unit, coil size, and blower (air handler or furnace) is what really matters.

For example, a described 13 SEER outdoor unit can be matched with a particular coil and blower and rate a higher SEER.

In addition, the individual pieces are often described as a particular SEER for the entire equipment family, from 1.5 to 5 tons. And again, it is the SEER of the system matchup that matters.

If you have paperwork from your purchase with a AHRI rated SEER, you can go to the AHRI website, and look it up. Every matchup will have a AHRI number.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHRI Directory

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 8:56AM
clocert

juliekcmo is right, many condenser units have range SEERs, it may be 14 or 16 depends on the match components (coils, etc.)

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:46AM
countryboymo

Don't forget seer can also go the other way if the system isn't matched. A 15 seer outside unit with an unmatched coil or inside unit can drop considerably.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Maytag/Nordyne/Nortek HVAC
Wanted to share my HVAC experience. Hopefully save...
bgfuller
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
HVAC billing question
Question for the pros...... So I had a faulty capacitor...
spe720
Who do I call about a whole-house fan?
I'd like a whole house fan. This might be a DIY project,...
elofgren
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Sponsored Products
Troy Barbell Solid Alloy Olympic Bar - AOB-1500B
$389.91 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Brushed Nickel 2-light Fluorescent Fixture P7250-09EBWB
Home Depot
WAC Lighting | Tesla 3.5 in. High Output LED 0 to 30 degree Adjustable Reflector
$180.00 | YLighting
Stainless Steel Direct-Wire 1-Light LED Under
$89.00 | PLFixtures
WAC Lighting | Telsa 3.5 in. High Output LED Square Open Reflector Trim
$171.00 | YLighting
Chef's Design Ribbed Double Burner Grill with Excalibur - 3540
$55.42 | Hayneedle
Olde Bronze Chandelier 9-Light
PLFixtures
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. White Compact Fluorescent New
$61.02 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™