Basic hvac with low AC noise?

hazel2011July 14, 2011

We are trying to put in a new hvac unit in our 1400 sq ft. one level single family house. Being as we are in northern california - bay area, our requirements are pretty basic. Heating is used for only a few months of the year and cooling in July-August. Not much of that this year!

Our biggest requirement is a low noise ac unit as it will be right outside our bedrooms and in our backyard.

What would the experts suggest in terms of brands/models given that we are very budget conscious at this point?

We have gotten quotes from three contractors and they are in the 10 to 15K range. The units that they are suggesting don't sound too good, more like entry level models from Payne, bryant, carrier or york. I feel lost when talking to the contractors so wanted to get some models from you that I can do some research before I talk to the contractors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hazel2011

Do you have any opinion about these carrier ones? This is the latest proposal we have received:

Carrier 24ACC6, Carrier 24APA5

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 12:54AM
neohioheatpump

The York midgrade models have a compressor jacket and are very quiet. They have the nicely designed top which blows the air off quietly. I would consider York or one of their sister brands (coleman, luxaire).

So how much does electricity cost in Northern California per KW total?

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 7:29AM
mike_home

The Carrier Performance 24APA5 2 ton condenser has a noise rating of 66dBA. The Carrier Comfort 24ACC6 2 ton condenser is rated at 74dBA. An 8dBA difference is pretty significant to the human ear.

I am going to assume a 2 ton condenser is the right size for you. The contractor should determine this by doing a load analysis.

If sound is important to you then consider paying a little more for the Performance condenser.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:55AM
hazel2011

Thanks. We are going with the 24APA5. The contractor suggested the 3 ton. He did say this is the initial estimate and he was going to spend some time at the house before giving the final recommendation. 3 ton is noisier than the 2 ton but seems to be lower as compared to the other 3 ton (that we can afford!). I agree that 66 to 74 is significant increase.

I heard the compressor blankets (is jacket the same?) only reduce the level by 2db. I realize that 2 db is nothing to laugh at..

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Heat Pump.....will it really save me money?
I recently moves into a new house in Mass, a 1650 sq...
Jinx_1832
1 vs. 2 stage cooling? 80% vs. 95% furnace?
I'm in SoCal near L.A. (zip 91354). Two story house...
M. A.
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Sponsored Products
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Color-Changing Solar LED Frosted Snowman Stak
$19.99 | Home Depot
Venstar T2900SCH Platinum Slimline School Stat Thermostat - VST2900SCH
$184.99 | Hayneedle
Moonrays Posts Outdoor Solar Powered Color-Changing Clear Acrylic LED
$8.10 | Home Depot
Venstar T2700 Commercial Platinum Slimline Thermostat - VST2700
$127.68 | Hayneedle
Atlas Fan Diane Chrome Ceiling Fan with Wood Blades
$378.25 | Bellacor
Jarold Directional Bronzette 16-Inch Ceiling Fan with Wood Blades
$646.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: