Ruud 14AJM

pray4allJuly 1, 2011

i know this is low end ruud, but is it reliable? any comments?

what about Haier HC30d2vae seems no one use it before?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

The Rudd 14AJM is low end but depending on the configuration of air handler or furnace/evap coil can provide good performance/eff numbers. I would want to know the warranty.

I would not consider the other brand.

IMO

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 4:17AM
pray4all

Thanks.

Air handler is Ruud RHLLHM3617AA, compressor would be 2- 2.5 ton. is it reliable handler?

This is a new AC install with duct work (baseboard heating)

10y warranty (registration required)

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 8:51PM
tigerdunes

pray

Excellent numbers-13 EER and 16 SEER.

The air handler model is a high efficient model but not var speed. If better dehumidification is important to you, then you might consider the variable speed model.

Do you mind sharing your location? You might consider the heat pump model for savings in cold weather. If not the heat pump, you could add a heat strip for ducted heat over baseboard heat which would at least add comfort to your home.

Is this your primary home or a vacation home?

IMO

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 10:41AM
pray4all

Location is CT, so really not much hot days in the summer, around 3 weeks. AC seems to be a waste of money but you really need it when it's hot. (gonna go for 14seer unit)

Always puzzled about heat pump, does it use the same air handler? i'd think it gonna use electricity which is not cheaper than oil heating. What's the benefit for heat pump and its cost.

thanks

BTW, it's primary home.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 12:43AM
tigerdunes

Pray

On the surface, you would be a perfect candidate for a heat pump. I am not saying get rid of your oil heat. Use the heat pump down to about 30 degrees, lower use your oil heat.

Yes, it would use the best matching air handler like the RHLL high eff model.

You will need to do a close analysis of your electric and oil costs. I am attaching a link to a fuel comparison calculator.

Check it out. A heat pump system paired with oil heat (boiler?) might be just the ticket.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuel Comparison Calculator

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 8:50AM
pray4all

thks.

Had the installer installed 14AJM, The compressor is a little strange to me. when system off (thermostat), the fan on compressor will be off immediately, but the unit will keep making some humming noise for while, and the cabinet gets warm on the top corner. Unit will go quite after a while. Even more strange, couple hours later, when outside temp is 65, the unit started make humming noise again on its own (fan still off, and the system has been off for couple hours already) , corner get warm again (was cold before the noise began) and then after a while, goes quite.

this is so strange, never had other system doing such thing, does anyone have any idea? something the installer messed up?

Thanks

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 9:08PM
neohioheatpump

The outdoor unit shouldn't be running if the inside furnace blower is off. You might want to call your installer.

So did you get the heatpump model or just the A/C version?

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:52AM
pray4all

thks, called installer and was told some rally/switch was bad.

Didn't go with heatpump model as need to have ac uprunning first, not sure if i could add heatpump later after further research

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:11PM
neohioheatpump

Well, you could add a heatpump at any time, but it will cost you alot of money since you need to replace your outdoor A/C unit with a heat-pump. You would also need to get a new thermostat with with more wiring to the outdoor unit and the furnace.

If you already replaced your A/C you missed your chance. The cost of upgrading your outdoor A/C to the same heatpump model wouldn't have been very much.

How much do you spend in oil per year to hear your house?

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™