Size of Laundry room sink

dreamhousedesignMarch 31, 2014

We have a section of wall in the laundry room that is 4' wide and I was hoping to put a pantry cupboard beside the sink. Is this too narrow? Is there a standard size that a laundry room sink should be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

What are you planning on doing with the sink. I see that most utility/laundry sinks are fairly deep and plastic. At least the ones I see at the big box stores. Go online and see what the measurements are on one of those. I would think that a nice sized kitchen sink would be just fine. Something sort of deep.

Have you looked on Houzz dot com for inspiration pics?

I have seen an IKEA sink that was for laundry, and it was 24" wide. It was nicer looking than the plastic big box store utility/laundry sinks. It had an integrated wash board embossed in the front inner surface. It was stainless steel. I think this is the IKEA sink. The cabinet is separate. I don't recall seeing that cabinet at IKEA.

Contemporary Basement by Chaska Kitchen & Bath Designers Excel Builders

Kohler has a cast iron sink that is a laundry sink and I think it is 24" wide too. This is it in its very expensive stand. You can counter mount it too.

Here is an image that I found on Houzz that shows a bathroom with intigrated washer/dryer with a petite sink :)

Contemporary Laundry Room by Oakland Architects & Designers Cathy Schwabe Architecture

Kind of a kitcheny setup:

Contemporary Laundry Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Artistic Designs for Living, Tineke Triggs

Way cute vintage look with husband shirt hanging options :)

Traditional Laundry Room by Boston Architects & Designers Jan Gleysteen Architects, Inc

This is the Kohler sink (I believe) mounted into the counter:

Traditional Laundry Room by Wayzata Architects & Designers Eskuche Design

Very smart and utilitarian:

Traditional Laundry Room by Richmond Architects & Designers 3north

All these last images I got off Houzz

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz link for laundry sinks

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DreamingoftheUP

As enduring says, you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the sink. Sixty years ago, the large, deep, double basin, usually cast concrete, laundry sink was needed for wringer washers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if all you are doing is rinsing out the softener cap, then the small sink between the W & D shown above would be sufficient. Will you use the sink to give a dog a bath or do hand laundry? Then you'd need something bigger. Is the laundry located in an unfinished corner of the basement? Then the fiberglass tubs (single or double basin) are sufficient, cheap and easy to move when needed. If your laundry will be in a finished room and you want a more upscale look, then the pictures above give you some ideas.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™