correct amount of A/C tonnage for a 2,380 square foot home

marktym327July 4, 2011

Our contractor wants to put in a 16 SEER 5 Ton TRANE unit. The house is new construction with 2X6 exterior walls, facing NW. sitting on a hill with very little shade. R-19 walls and R-30 ceiling with 10 foot ceilings with the exception of one or 2 rooms that have a coffer ceiling going to 12ft. Window amounts are average with double pane aluminum vinyl wrapped. Can we get a 4Ton unit since we normally keep the house at between 77 and 78 degrees in the summer in S.E. Texas. I know about a manual J study but nothing more. I have lived in some places where the air never dried out and am as concerned about over-kill as I am about over working the A/C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

How large is the house? Is it two stories or one? It the 5 ton condenser single stage or two stage? Do you have the model numbers of all the equipment?

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 9:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohioheatpump

10 foot ceilings adds quite a bit of space especially with some vaulted in other rooms. You do have very good insulating properities with 2X6 construction and R-19 walls and R-30 ceiling. Are your windows big? Do you have alot of them? Will you have window treatments?

You would be ok with 5 tons if it was a 2-stage. You could run on the low stage alot. 5-tons single stage might be a little bit much.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™