correct amount of A/C tonnage for a 2,380 square foot home

marktym327July 4, 2011

Our contractor wants to put in a 16 SEER 5 Ton TRANE unit. The house is new construction with 2X6 exterior walls, facing NW. sitting on a hill with very little shade. R-19 walls and R-30 ceiling with 10 foot ceilings with the exception of one or 2 rooms that have a coffer ceiling going to 12ft. Window amounts are average with double pane aluminum vinyl wrapped. Can we get a 4Ton unit since we normally keep the house at between 77 and 78 degrees in the summer in S.E. Texas. I know about a manual J study but nothing more. I have lived in some places where the air never dried out and am as concerned about over-kill as I am about over working the A/C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

How large is the house? Is it two stories or one? It the 5 ton condenser single stage or two stage? Do you have the model numbers of all the equipment?

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 9:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neohioheatpump

10 foot ceilings adds quite a bit of space especially with some vaulted in other rooms. You do have very good insulating properities with 2X6 construction and R-19 walls and R-30 ceiling. Are your windows big? Do you have alot of them? Will you have window treatments?

You would be ok with 5 tons if it was a 2-stage. You could run on the low stage alot. 5-tons single stage might be a little bit much.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Heat Pump in Northern Virginia
Does anyone have advice on which contractors may be...
jbedford004
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Sponsored Products
Body-Solid GAB350 Semi-Recumbent Synchronized Ab Bench - GAB350
$318.98 | Hayneedle
kathy ireland Home by Martin Tribeca Loft Black Pedestal Computer Desk - TL685
Hayneedle
Mini Square Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink Crystal a
$300.00 | Bellacor
Monarch French Gold Six-Light 24-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smok
Bellacor
Monarch French Gold Sixteen-Light 27-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Teak
Bellacor
Nesco American Harvest Snackmaster Square Dehydrator - FD-80
$75.95 | Hayneedle
Maria Theresa Gold Twenty-Four Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Te
Bellacor
Capstar Flea Treatment Dog Flea & Tick Care - 004CG-61011
$39.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™