Moving AC/Heating Unit

mikey10101July 31, 2011

Hello there! I've been doing some searching and haven't been able to answer this question.

I'm looking at converting a finished basement into a music studio. The space is pretty well set up for it except for the fact that the AC/Heating unit is down there and it's very very noisy. I can't imagine that it's a cheap/easy job, but is it possible to move to unit up into the garage 1 floor up and about 20 feet away? It would turn this home into a truly "perfect" place for me to purchase if we were able to move it.

There's also an attic that it could be moved to in the event that the ducting is better setup for it.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

What you may not understand is that the current system is set up for the EXACT configuration that currently exists in your home in respect to your ductwork and location of the furnace, and how this relates to the outdoor unit and the refrigerant lines that connect the outdoor unit to the furnace.

At best, you will need to make ducting changes, put in new refrigerant lines, and a gas line for the furnace.

You will probably not be able to put the furnace in the garage due to code. The garage is a potential source of carbon monoxide and shouldn't be tied into the home air supply.

At the most, you need a whole new system and a lot of new ductwork and new gas and electrical line and new refrigerant lines.

A lot depends on the age and configuration of the situation.

Could you more cost-effictively build a mechanical room space around the furnace that provides enough space for the safe operation of the equipment, and then sound-proof that to a satisfactory level? You may also need to address noise from the lines.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
I need help in deciding on a replacement central air conditioner
I need help in replacing 38 year old 1 1/2 ton 8 Seer...
Doricee
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Who do I call about a whole-house fan?
I'd like a whole house fan. This might be a DIY project,...
elofgren
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Sponsored Products
KALCO Lighting 7202AC Castaic Antique Copper Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Troag Long Linear Suspension
Lightology
Orange Spoon
$7.99 | zulily
Custom Fitzsimmons Upholstered Bed
Home Decorators Collection
Stone Scroll Mantel
$1,275.00 | Horchow