Anyone have WALNUT butcher block?

ajardJanuary 25, 2010

I am going to install a walnut end grain butcher block on the end of my peninsula( i dont have an island) and a walnut edge grain desktop on my kitchen desk. Butcher block people are trying to talk me out of walnut and to go with maple since I DO plan to cut things like veggies etc on it.. I want it to be a "working" butcher block.. Anyone have have any experience of walnut.. I do love the color over maple for my kitchn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redroze

I fell in love with this walnut end grain cutting board after seeing it on Giada's old show. It's not a permanent countertop but perhaps you can email them on the durability of walnut? You're right, the colour of walnut is unmatchable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozark

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 1:22PM
mairin

zaron and reno-fan have walnut counters - go to the finished kitchens blog to find them. maybe they have an email on their "my page" space and you can contact them directly.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 2:04PM
plumorchard

We have a small walnut cutting board from Ozark. Love it! Use it almost daily and have had no problems with it at all. Every now and then we wipe it down with oil. I've been thinking of getting this for our island top and it would be a working island as well. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

We also have another (not sure what kind) light wood cutting board on the range that hasn't weathered as well. Totally functional just see a lot more on the lighter wood.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 2:36PM
ajard

Ozarks are beautiful.. not sure if they make countertops style. I think I am going to use boardsmith... has great reviews. I am going to check out the two on FKB.. thank you

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 11:52AM
eks6426

Check out John Boos Company. They do Walnut.

http://www.johnboos.com/

Direct link to the walnut butcher block:
http://www.johnboos.com/residential/model.cfm?CatNo=03&PageNum=0037&GroupCode=0010&dispimage=/STOREFRONT/IMAGES/BLENDEDWALNUTTOP.JPG&title1=Blended%20Walnut%20Butcher%20Block

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 12:01PM
bestyears

Yes, we just put in a walnut butcher block top on our island. We have been actively using it since just before Christmas. Like you, we want our butcherblock to be a real working surface. We cut everything except meat on it constantly. So far it is no worse for the wear, which has really surprised me. Every few weeks, I rub some food safe oil into it. That's it, no other special treatment. We love the look of the dark wood, and have been very happy with it.

I think there are a few more pictures of the island under the thread I started when we finished it all -just search under bestyears.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 5:13PM
ajard

Thanks! I am trying to decide on John Boos or Boardsmith for the walnut
Bestyears, where did you get yours?
thanks

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 11:35PM
plumorchard

Just to follow up - Ozark will make any size you need. We just submitted info for quote for our island top.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 8:21AM
bestyears

The place is called Blockhead Tops in Michigan (found out about them here at GW!). The price was definitely the best I could find. Contact info: Mark 989-727-3177. I looked at their website first (just google them). We got a 34x48 endgrain top, 2" thick with rounded edge. The price was $739. It took about 2 weeks for them to make it and another 3 days to ship it to us. The price included all taxes, shipping, etc. Do you need to see more pictures?

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:24AM
sarahbk

One other company that you may want to consider is Craft-Art, in Atlanta. Our iroko island surface from C-A was installed last week and I am very impressed with the workmanship. They ship all over the US (we are in Minnesota.) C-A does make end grain walnut counters and will also do end grain wenge/walnut checkerboard counters, which I think look fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craft-Art link

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:34AM
ajard

Thank you I will check out all these sources..
Boardsmith can make me a matching knife block... for my counter.. :)

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 10:50AM
ajard

Sadly Ozark West is no longer doing custom orders.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Found a granite Pergaminho, is this the same as Delicatus or Alaskan ?
I've been searching for a durable island countertop...
happyallison
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™