rusting around bleach dispenser of washing machine

springwaterMarch 16, 2007

I'm in the market for a new washing machine because the portal where I add bleach in my current top loader is rusting around the portal--in fact, the rust seems to be around the top of drum rim also. I'm attirbuting this to the stong concentration of bleach. I thought I would try a front loading machine this time around and my thinking is if I buy such a machine that has a plastic portal for adding the bleach and a stainless drum, I will eliminate this rusting problem or will? Your help in making the right decision would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gordonr

Does your water have moderate to high concentrations of iron and manganese? Our town water has this, and you basically have to stay away from clorine based products. It will deposit rust looking ick inside your dishwasher and on your dishes, and your white clothing can look discolored. Given this is what happens with iron in solution, got to guess that unprotected metal around your washing machine will also react. I'd bet that even lower grades of stainless steel will have problems with clorine.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™