Cabinet Paint FInish: Satin or Semigloss?

carrie_eileenJanuary 11, 2011

Me again with more last-minute questions for you experts as I go into major kitchen demo and planning. I'm doing painted cabinets; my painter will be using Sherwin Williams oil-based laquer. He wants to know Satin or Semigloss. What are your thoughts on this? What did you choose for your finish, and why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toffee-el

I used Sherwin William's semi gloss "Seattle Red" on some really ugly dark brown woodgrain laminated cabinets with oak trimmings. I did use Ralph Lauren's red primer.

It's a townhome we using as rental unit, the cabinets were really tired and the place looked old.

The result was quite amazing, the Seattle red on dark brown yielded a rich dark cherry red, all for hundred $ or so. The cabinets gotten a new lease of life. $$ saved was spent on new stainless steel appliances and laminated floor.

We invested around $3.5k, for the past few years, we have gotten $200-$300/month more in monthly rental then similar units in the complex.

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 12:13PM
never_ending

I did one set of kitchen cabinets in satin, and I didn't care for it in the end. It was too flat of a finish. IMHO satin paint is not the same sheen as a satin poly. I would recommend the semi-gloss. Can he show you samples so your own eyes can see it?

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 12:46PM
kathec

You could always pop into Sherwin Williams and look at the sheen. They usually have samples in the store, at least mine did when I was there last Friday.

Personally, I like a bit of sheen, I'd go semi gloss if it were mine.

HTH

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 10:28PM
10KDiamond

agree agree, agree. Although the trend in cabinet sheen is less glossly than it was 10 -15 yeats ago, I'd go semi-gloss because it's paint, not cabinet finish.

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Really want to improve my kitchen layout…
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion
Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for...
autumn.4
Kitchen Cabinet pricing - what would you do?
I had had a few quotes done for my kitchen cabinets:...
petralikesyoga
rmkitchen or segrbrown are either of you still on this forum?
hello, I have been searching the site for folks who...
ponderosafarm
Custom Cupboards
Has anyone used Custom Cupboards kitchen cabinets?...
tgmoran
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™