Insulation around B-vent

alan_s_thefirstJuly 19, 2012

All this time spent in my attic made me notice that there's insulation right up to my B-vent. Is there supposed to be clearance? It's the pink glass stuff and there is absolutely NO discolouration indicating heat issues, which I have seen in other people's attics when I've been working up there.

I actually do have some rockwool insulation lying around, here in BC it's used in firestop applications - common walls, soundproofing between floors etc. Would using a section of this stuff be the answer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

What is a B-vent? Is this a vent for the boiler? If it is a double wall vent, then no clearance is required. If you see no discoloration, then you should be OK.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

It's for my furnace, a mid-efficiency. I believe it is double walled. I have just been reading lots of discussions about clearances and they seem to even specify a 1" clearance for b-vents (it's some sort of class) but I've never seen any clearance made in any of the attics I've worked in, but I have seen some with heat discolouration. Not on mine, though, it looks like it was done yesterday.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
What in the world is this thing? (Water furnace) And I need a new one?
Hi. So my new condo has an ancient thing I've been...
halgreene
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™