Frozen A/C and no air

Firestar502July 13, 2012

Hi everyone!

Hoping I can get an answer to this. The fan on the A/C unit is running (I can see it spin just like the other units). The weird thing is that there is no air coming inside my 3 floor townhome. I checked the air-filter and to my surprise, the grill is frozen solid! I've done some reading on-line and I've defrosted it by letting it sit (A/C turned off) - see picture. I thought the problem was solved after totally defrosting it (and then some) but when I turned it on, to my dismay, STILL no air coming into the unit. I'm in Texas and it's HOT!

Can anyone help? Would really appreciate any advice

Joseph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

I had a situation on a Lennox system some years ago. Variable-speed ECM blower motor, it went wonky and was running backwards, thus no airflow.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 5:59PM
busboy

This is usually an indication of low refridgerant level. Time for a service. To clear the airhandler coil of ice, turn the unit off an leave the fan running on manual until ice clears. You may get some cooling back until service arrives.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 5:59PM
RobbZee

It sounds like to me that you have no air flow, or bad air flow quality. You are going to want someone to come take a look at it. If it keeps freezing then you are not getting the right air flow. Perhaps you need it cleaned out.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 8:53PM
Edbishop868

By the look of the frost pattern on the coil, it's more than likely low on refrigerant or possibly a restricted expansion valve.

There are a variety of other reasons:

37 year HVAC veteran

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fix air conditioer that freezes up

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 6:42AM
RobbZee

Great link! I can't imagine it would be undersize ductwork, it just started freezing. Have you checked the filter? When was the last time you had the A/C unit serviced? Once a year is the trick. If you recently did they would have caught a clogged filter. I would call your local HVAC company and tell them what is going on. You don't want to do more damage to the unit.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
Frozen radiators!
My boiler failed, and all the radiators froze and split....
mtvhike
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™