furnace vent vs. intake location

skunkerwunkerJuly 24, 2010

My Carrier HVAC unit was installed by a local factory authorized company 6 years ago. I recently realized that they installed the sidewall exhaust vent 12" below the intake. Everything I can find in the manual (and common sense) tells me this is wrong as the exhaust will rise directly up into the intake. Is this ever correct? Should I expect my unit to fail prematurely from corrosion? If that is the case should I expect the company to remedy this and adjust the warranty?

My second question (which led me to discover this) is that I need to relocate the AC outside unit so I can build a deck. The best place for it is right in front of the furnace vent. Is this OK as long as I cover the unit during the heating season to prevent the furnace exhaust from corroding it?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shifrbv

1) The flue gas vent termination should be higher then the combustion air inlet.
2) I would always ask for concentric vent kit.
3) >If that is the case should I expect the company to remedy this and adjust the warranty?
Ask them if they are willing to fix it. As far as adjusting warranty - doubt it.
4) Moving A/C is not cheap. Still 12" clearance will be needed

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skunkerwunker

Thanks for your reply. More questions:

So for 6 years now my "professionally" installed system has been breathing in its own corrosive exhaust. Just how bad is this and has anyone seen failures due to this? I did not go with the low ball quote. I went with a major heavily advertised company in our area because I don't know much about HVAC. I had never heard of a concentric vent kit.

I know it won't be cheap to move - I already have quotes. Are you saying that 12" is far enough away that the exhaust will not harm the unit? Is it OK to cover it?

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™