Another gremlin attack?

sally2_gwMay 12, 2012

I'm at work now, on explorer, sneaking a minute to see if the forum is working. This morning at home the cooking forum page would start to load, then go blank white. I tried some of the other Gardenweb forums, and the same thing happened. I was able to go to other websites with no problem, so I don't think it was my computer. Did this happen to anyone else?

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid

I had the same problem a couple of days ago.

I reinstalled AdblockPlus, at the suggestion of a helpful GW poster, and now everything is back to normal.

Here is the link to install it on Firefox:

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus for Firefox

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 10:52AM
jasdip

I haven't had that happen, but I also use Adblock.
I use Chrome and told hubby to install it on his computer, and he uses IE. Even if that isn't the problem, Adblock is a definite asset Sally2.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 11:07AM
compumom

Thanks, because this week and especially last night I had constant pop-ups only on the CF. I was really feeling frustrated!

Although we routinely use Firefox, I guess that Adblock plus wasn't installed. BUT it is now! Thanks, no more pop-ups this morning!

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 1:40PM
sally2_gw

I won't be home to see if it's still a problem on my home computer until this evening. I use Safari on a 15 or so year old Mac, so no telling what will work and won't work. A lot of the newer software doesn't work on our old girl.

Sally

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 5:10PM
sally2_gw

Okay, I'm home now, and it's happening when I use Safari, but not with Firefox. It shouldn't be happening at all. I'll contact the powers that be and let them know. Thanks for the input.

Sally

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 7:26PM
Rusty

I use Firefox,
But haven't had the problems mentioned here.
I am definitely going to check out the Adblock, though.

I'm thinking there really are some gremlins
Sneaking around this forum.
I can't find a thread about making pasta sauce
That was here yesterday.

What happened? ? ?

Rusty

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 1:40AM
foodonastump

No problems here on iPod, Android, Firefox or IE.

Rusty, the thread incl your post is still here on the first page.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:09AM
Rusty

FOAS, yesterday was a rough day,
so I was extra tired last night,
Couldn't find that thread at all.
This morning it jumped out at me!

Rusty

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:24AM
jasdip

Sure enough Rusty and Lou's pasta sauce recipe looks good too!

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:35AM
sally2_gw

So far no response from the tech people, but that doesn't surprise me. I wrote to them over the weekend. Hopefully today I'll hear from them.

Sally

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:52AM
lindac

It's the tracking cookies....too many and it seems that some never load.......right now I am waiting for data from ping.chartbeat to transfer.....and this won't post until it loads.....

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:57AM
foodonastump

I take back what I said - android started whiting out shortly after I posted. Hitting refresh once or twice seems to help, but it's annoying enough to where I don't bother trying.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:00AM
sherrmann

Same thing has been happening to me all weekend. This is the first time I've been able to get in all morning, too. I also used a different computer to ask the powers that be on Saturday, no response. Aggravating as it can be!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:04AM
triciae

I don't know if this would have anything to do with the problems some are having, or not, BUT I have noticed that starting about last Thursday (maybe, Wednesday?) my Do Not Track Plus software started showing up to 16 "blocks" from CF. Before last week...there were NONE.

Right now, here's the list:

Omniture
Doubleclick
Google Adsense
BivrantAds
Quantcast
Dedicated Networks
Vibrant Medi
Quantcast
Nielsen
BlueKai
Mindset Media

/tricia

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:21AM
angelaid

GardenWeb won't even load on my cell phone. A message pops up that says it's an unsecure site.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 12:01PM
sally2_gw

Well, this is the first day I've been able to visit the cooking forum on Safari without it whiting out. I never did hear back from the GW tech people. That's not the first time they haven't responded to a query from me, though. I've been having other problems with my computer ever since DH did a scan for bugs on it. It won't save any history. Since none of this is cooking related, I haven't been comfortable bringing that up on this side, but I figured the gremlin attack would be seen on the discussion side. Anyway, it's finally working for me. At least, at this time it is. If they'd just let things be and quit messing with it trying to add more ads, they wouldn't have so many problems.

Sally

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 9:46AM
cloud_swift

I've had that problem too. Clearing cookies and cache fixes it - that's a pain because one has to re-enter login for all the sites that normally remember, but it does fix it (until it recurs, but so far it has only hit me a couple of times). I update Mozilla Firefox and - knock on wood - it hasn't happened again.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™