New Air Conditioning System

Marine1945July 24, 2011

My Carrier A/C system developed at least one leak in the coil (plus the capacitor blew yesterday). At best it will be $1000-1600 to replace the coil. It is also Freon 22. An A/C repairman, who we have dealt with in the past is recommending a new system, including both an A/C system and furnace. He is advising that it is best to replace both systems, since if we replace the coil and the furnace goes, then it would take a more complicated replacement of the system. Plus, he indicated that our current Carrier furnace (Weathermaker 9200) will not work well with new A/C systems, since it is a single state system and will leave the house with higher humidity (50-55% vice the 35-40% that we usually keep it at using a portable dehumidifier). He will develop quotes for several systems, but gave me an initial quote.

He will install:

ï· Trane Furnace Model TUHMC100ACV4VA

ï· Trane A/C Model 4TTX5036A1000B

ï· Trane Indoor Coil 4TXCC043BC3HCA

ï· Trane Programmable Stat Model TCONT802AS32DA

In addition, he will install a central return in our basement to facilitate better circulation, thus hopefully assisting to reduce humidity.

The quote for the above is $9,870.

We live in northern Virginia. We have some pretty cold winters (some weeks below 20 degrees, and down to single digits on a few days) and hot summers (some weeks above 90 degrees, with days above 100).

He will provide another quote that will look at using a heat pump as the primary for both heating and cooling, with the furnace and A/C system as augmentation. He indicates this will be a significant energy cost savings over our current configuration or even the system above. That will be about $11,000.

These seem like pretty high numbers, and more than we would like to pay. He is pretty reputable, with a small, but apparently pretty competent, staff. I had previous experience with bad contractors using poorly trained personnel (bathrooms). And I know that HVAC contractors are the key to a good system, but this seems awfully high. (He does have a 10 year parts and 2 year labor warranty, which appears good.)

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billyq1234

I think your bid is high also.

We live in N VA also and last week asked 5 contractors to give 3 bids each: good/better/best.

The good bids were Trane and Goodman = $5000
Better bids were Carrier and Bryant = $6000 - 8000

Recommend you get more bids.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™