good clothes iron?

nursecynthiaMarch 8, 2008

Please help!

I am on the search for a really good iron. I followed the advice of Consumer Reports and Good Housekeeping and I bought the Black and Decker Digital Advantage ($69.99).

It was a great iron for about 18 months....

The foot plate seal started leaking water ALL over and it was unusable.

I called Black and Decker and they said that their warranty is only good for one year. They offered me no assistance.

My first inclination was to get a Rowetta, but Consumer Reports didn't rate them very well,

Anyone know of a great iron? I would appreciate any advice?

My husband and I use our iron daily.

Thanks,

C.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conate

Here here! I don't know, but I can honestly say that irons are far 'wimpier' than they used to be.

My wife and I also have a black and decker. The irritating thing about this iron is that it doesn't seem to get very hot. I don't see the point, too, of having microprocessors in irons.

Is there any 'hefty' iron out there that is a simple steam iron? With a stainless steel base? With a space to iron around buttons? And one that gets hot enough?

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 10:05PM
stbonner

I have a Rowenta, Professional model, that I think is great. I've had it for about 7 or 8 years now, I think. It gets much hotter than any Black & Decker that I had previously. My daughter has a new Rowenta that she also is very happy with, but I'm not sure which model it is.

I used to use Consumer Reports as a buying guide, but I have found that I rarely agree with their ratings any more.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 8:27AM
pecanfudge

When my Norelco iron died last year after 12 or 13 years of faithful service, I took the "rule of thumb" advice of Consumer Search and bought the least expensive iron that had the features I wanted. They say the newer irons don't last as long as the old ones. Consumer Search also highly rated the Black & Decker Digital Advantage iron. I think they rate the irons by how well their features work and not by how long they last. I bought the Sunbeam Classic ($24.99). I didn't like the Black & Decker Classic, because it didn't have a water gauge. It is a replica of the old General Electric iron I had many years ago. That iron was hefty, so I assume the Black & Decker Classic is also.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 12:05PM
jejvtr

I'll second the Rowenta - I don't iron that much, but when my mom tried it - she HAd to have one (she used to iron a lot!)

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 9:41PM
katieb2007

I have a Rowenta, and I love it! I love that it is heavy, gets very hot, and has lasted longer than any previous iron I owned, and I iron almost everything, although not underwear and washcloths like my college roommate did!

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 10:17PM
oregpsnow

I have had a Rowenta from QVC for a while and like it. I can't stand ironing, so I am unlikely to love any iron. It is QVC number V25626 - $88.20. It is fairly heavy but it seems light weight irons just don't work as well.

I also bought a TFAL iron on clearance at Target for $14 and it works good, too. Is a little smaller and lighter, but gets hot and has good steam.

Sometimes Costco has an iron - I forget the brand - that many people have liked. It is much cheaper than the Rowenta so you might check it out if you are watching your pennies.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 12:03PM
papercamera

I don't have an iron recommendation, but I would look at www.epinions.com for reviews, along with Consumer reports. I think it's good to get the perspective of someone who's lived with the item they're reviewing, rather than someone who maybe ran it through a few tests.

I think Consumer reports has its place, and it's a good tool because it's a standardized test for all the products covered, but I've found epinions, and even other websites with consumer reviews (amazon and a lot of stores have this now) gives you a more complete picture of how products work on a day to day basis.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™