What does Bonnet Cap mean for a furnace.

woody_007July 11, 2007

Does anyone know what the term "Bonnet Cap" means for a furnace?

I looked inside my 70's furnace and it says: Input 110 MBTU, Bonnet Cap 88 MBTU.

For a finding a replacement furnace do I go off the Input BTU or the Bonnet Cap BTU.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The bonnet is the actual btu's you'll get after the loss from the flue and ambient loss etc. I find it puzzling that furnace has a 80% difference.
When calculating a heat loss load in a home, it's best to use this bonnet to decide the size heater needed.
*Much like using the sensible capacity in an a/c instead of the total btu capacity.

    Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you for the response.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the heat loss work out to be 20% as opposed to 80% as was stated in the previous post.
110 BTUH in, 22 BTUH loss, and 88 BTUH left over to heat home. The loss is 22/110 * 100 = 20%.

If I understood correctly, I should use the Bonnet Cap BTUH to guide me on the size of the replacement furnace.
88,000 BTUH * 60% AFUE(70's furnace) = 49,800 BTUH. My new furnace should have an ouput of no less than 49,800 BTUH. Is my thinking correct here?

    Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 6:24PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™