Heating a dirt crawl space

Eddy108642July 29, 2011

We own a log home in northern NY. Cabin sits on top of a dirt crawlspace (unheated but has electric hot water heater and plumbing). We would like to heat it so heat would rise to 1st floor and make it warmer. (We have Monitor heater in living area) Heat is adequate but not really warm.

In crawl space we have completely encapsulated it: We had closed cell foam sprayed from ground to rafters and sealed all dirt with 10mil plastic so no moisture problem at all and all 4 vents to outside were foamed over.

I would like to put something like a direct vent Rinnai propane space heater (obviously away from foam walls and plastic) We have probably 3' and in some places 4' of height to bottom of floor rafters.

We do not have insulation in crawl space ceiling (floor rafters) since we need heat down there so no pipes will freeze.

Questions: Can it be done and would I also need to put vents in to open airway from crawl space to 1st floor? I read that air pressure would have to be equalized.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

How much foam is on the ground?

The earth is a massive heat sink, and insulation only slows the movement of heat.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
wood stove insert causing boiler to cycle?
We have an oil-fired boiler, an indirect water heater,...
kitasei
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™