crown molding extending past wall open to above

popescudanaJanuary 16, 2013

Hi, we have this issue with the kitchen cabinets crown molding sticking out about 2-3 inches around the wall that is open to above and it looks pretty bad from above. Not sure what can be done to make it look "right". We thought if we ask the cabinet installer to remove it, it will look unfinished so that's not much of an option either. If anyone has any ideas, how to "hide" it or make it look less obvious, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robbcs3

Put a cap on it. Flat trim to fit the space and in matching color. Almost like a mantle type effect.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 12:56PM
Angie_DIY

I would remove it from that side, and have the front side die into the corner of the cab.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 1:18PM
popescudana

Hi, thank you both for your answers,. unfortunately it is not possible to flat trim it to fit the space as the other side of molding coming from the front of the cabinet will not "fit" if this side is not as "deep" - i have thought about removing this side molding and cutting the front one straight rather than at 45 degrees but it looks strange. not sure what you mean have the front side "die" into the corner?

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
better2boutside

What about building out the sheetrock above the crown so that it does not extend beyond it?

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
rmkitchen or segrbrown are either of you still on this forum?
hello, I have been searching the site for folks who...
ponderosafarm
Colored Wine Glasses Truly Dishwasher Safe
We are looking for some nice wine glasses that are...
curmudgeon10
10 cm gap between cabinets and steel - help!
Hi all, Our kitchen designers have messed up their...
waytonc
Really want to improve my kitchen layout…
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Under cabinet mixer shelf
Does anyone have a built-in under cabinet mixer shelf...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™