Penny Round Tile??

perplexedinnyJanuary 9, 2010

Has anyone used penny round tile for a backsplash. I'm under the impression it's a bear to install. Any thoughts or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arlosmom

We didn't use penny rounds for a backsplash, but they are what we used on our powder room floor. It's the only material in our addition that we wouldn't choose again if we had to start over. It was VERY hard for our contractors to install. Our tile came on sheets a little less than a foot square and it was extremely hard to get it positioned so that you couldn't tell where the sheets met. Also, because the tiles are so tiny (and round), the grout-to-tile ratio is pretty high. I'm not sure I'd want that much grout in a backsplash. I can tell you that it's nearly impossible to keep the powder room floor looking clean. Penny rounds are charming, but difficult. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 1:33PM
rhome410

We used it on our entry floor and love it...However, it does scootch around and it is more difficult to line up than I guessed ahead of time. I would think it would be super challenging to put on a vertical surface.

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 2:32PM
perplexedinny

Thanks for the feedback. Your comments have been helpful as you've pretty much confirmed my worries. I appreciate you both taking the time to post!! On to the next backsplash idea...

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Framed beaded inset or frameless? Same price
I finally have decided on Cabinet wood and cabinet...
Traumanurse1
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™