Whitener needed

sayhellonowFebruary 16, 2011

My dtr gave me a lovely blouse she bought at Marks & Spencer in England. Unfortunately, before she could get it to me, her AC filter went haywire and started spewing soot throughout her entire house. So what I have is a "dingy" white, gorgeous blouse.

It feels and looks like cotton, but there is no tag in it which gives the kind of fabric or cleaning instructions. I have washed it, but it's still dingy.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregpsnow

Take it to a good dry cleaners. Tell them it has soot on it. They are pretty good about getting out tough dirt and they will know what kind of fabric it is - or at least make a good guess. Washing it may make it worse.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 11:40AM
sayhellonow

That's good advice, although I'm not sure I can trust my local drycleaning shops. The only three in my area have all damaged my clothing at one time or another.

Someone said that dishwasher detergent will take out food stains because it breaks down the enzymes. Does anyone know if that might apply to dirt as well?

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The blouse is lovely and my dtr paid a lot of money for it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 2:37PM
mydreamhome

Try ALL liquid detergent in the designer shaped bottle (not the one in the old standard bottle.) Don't know why, but when I've tried everything else, this is the one that works for me. You may try adding a little Clorox 2.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 11:21PM
sayhellonow

Headed to the store now for ALL and Clorox 2, saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" I've never used Clorox 2, so it didn't occur to me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 3:00PM
sayhellonow

Well, it worked and worked beautifully. I found Spray n Wash Max Whites for stains on white things. I saturated the blouse with it, then washed it in Clorox 2. It looks brand new now, and I'm wearing it tonight.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™