York Furnace Problem

JayDayJuly 1, 2012

I have a York Furnace that has now decided not to work. Only a few years old and it seams like everything is going starting to go out on it.

Model Number: G9V0816UPC11B

Serial Number: WNLM005693

Air conditioner compressor is working however the furnace part is not. Power is on to the units but furnace wont start up to push air through the system.

Thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

It is difficult to say what is causing the problem. Have you tried to turn on the fan from the thermostat? Look at the thermostat and see if you have a switch that says auto/on. Move the switch to the on position. This should turn on the blower in the furnace. If it does not come on then you probably have a bad fan or cntrol board. In either case you will need to call a tech to make the repair.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:04AM
JayDay

I did try turning the thermostat from auto to on with no luck. I have a technician coming out Monday afternoon however they replaced the control board in December. a few years back I had to replace the combustion blower on the same furnace. This is getting expensive.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:37AM
fluffybunnysui

Your unitis a more than a few years old.

You say you can turn it to "Cool" & "auto" and the outdoor unit comes on but not the inside unit. If you turned the fan switch on the thermostat from "auto" to "on" and the fan still didn't come on, it might be the run capacitor on the fan motor or the fan motor itself.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 4:01PM
JayDay

Is a run capacitor easy to replace or something a home owner can replace? What would be an average cost of the part. Any way I can check one or the other or is this something that is held tightly to the technician's chest?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 5:03PM
handy-man

three possible reason why fan is not turning on according to your case.

1. Bad blower fan capacitor
2. Bad fan motor itself
3. Bad fan relay on the board itself (which mean the whole board needs to be replaced).

Mostly like it's the capacitor at that age. Can you replace it. Absolutely. Just find the right capacitor for it.

1. Disconnect the power to the furnace and open the furnace.
2. look at the blower compartment, Typically you will a small capacitor that has two wires connected to it. Brown and Brown/White. Take out that capacitor and read the micofarad on it. It should say 5uf or 7.5uf. buy the right one and replace. Don't worry about the wires, you can criss cross it. here are some pictures of the capacitor, you can buy it there if you want too.

http://www.americanhvacparts.com/c-21354-370-volt-oval-run-capacitors.aspx

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:58PM
JayDay

It is interesting that I had Two different Heating and Air Conditioning Companies out today and one said that it was the control board and the other said that it was the ECM and Module/possible CFM Board.

The company that installed the control board back in December does not believe it is the control board but the latter.

Who do I believe??

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
What in the world is this thing? (Water furnace) And I need a new one?
Hi. So my new condo has an ancient thing I've been...
halgreene
Manual J -> S ->D
JSHR: 0.81 MJ8 Tons: 3.03 SqFt/Ton: 1667 CFM/SqFt:...
Brian S
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™