Varnish like smell in Dryer and Basement

spinedcJuly 25, 2008

Hello,

The other day we ran the dryer and the whole basement and upstairs started to smell. Can't really make out the smell but it didnt smell like natural gas and it kinda smelled like varnish or paint thinner. A day or two ago, my attached townhome neighbor refinished her patio.

Could it be that the fumes from patio being refinished have entered the vent of the dryer? The dryer vent is located right above and near the neighbors patio.

Should I be concerned and call the gas company for any gas leaks? There is one specific area in the basement right across from the dryer that has the highest concentration of smell. Last nite, I placed a fan in there and opened all the windows upstairs since the basement does not have windows but this morning, it still has a strong smell. Any advice would help. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_al_41

I would check the wiring in and around the dryer...sometimes a small wire getting too hot may smell like varnish etc...better safe then sorry. put your nose near the dryer and see if it comes from there ..good luck.

Bigal

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™