Washer/dryer recommendations?

hartinFebruary 2, 2012

I'm about to remodel my laundry room and buy a new front-loading washer/dryer.

I've always had top-loading washers with questionable success, despite changes in detergent, etc. I think our water is on the hard side. At any rate, I'm looking for a front-loading washer and dryer that can handle frequent, large loads. I have three almost-adult-sized kids and my husband and me. We create a lot of laundry. We wash clothes daily, so I'm looking for energy efficiency and low-water usage if at all possible. If there's a model that would do woolens, too, that would be great.

I'm seduced by the Miele models I saw, and I'm wondering if the German engineering is just the ticket for the punishment we inflict, but I also fear $500 for every slight problem we have, and technicians scratching their heads over the unusual nature of the machine. I hear they seldom break, but when they do, is it a paycheck?

I've heard mixed reviews from friends about Asko in general, and about Maytag/Kenmore/Whirlpool front-loaders. I know to leave the door open...

Suggestions? If you could start all over (and you were in my situation in Dallas), what would you buy?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housefairy

Do you do all the laundry or does each person do their own? This would be a factor in how large a unit you need. The more you can put in the less loads you will have to do. But the big thing is budget. When you ask about a Miele and then go all the way to a Kenmore you are listing quite a range. As far as the German engineering and the cost to fix take an example of cars. A BMW will cost more for comparable repairs than say a Chevy. Can you afford the difference if you buy a Miele and you do need some kind of unforseen repair? Everyone states the Miele will last longer. But will the difference in price make up for just how many years you get out of a machine? If you finance then you would also need to figure that into your cost. Personally if you want a Miele and can afford it, go for it. Those German engineers do make some awesome stuff.

What I would suggest is that you need to go shopping! If you are looking for something that washes woolens ask to be shown those specific washers. After you have got your selection down to a few different models come back and ask opinions. If you are wanting to wash something large, such as a comforter, take it along and stuff it in the machines.

Unless someone has, for whatever reason, bought an unusual number of washers they can really only give you an opinion on their machine. Have fun shopping.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 7:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
totsuka

Simple is best. Bought WP 3.4 cu top loading machine. (4 people in house, 2 kids), but I do most of washing since wife is in college and wastes more water that Hoover Dam when she does the laundry. Get the extended warranty only 89 dollars and beat the heck out of the machine(s).

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Getting ready to buy Speed Queens
Actually did purchase a pair of Speed Queens for home...
socks
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Sponsored Products
Softest Rug 9' x 12' - WHITE
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Lush Decor Cocoa Flower Valance - U13073Q11
$19.43 | Hayneedle
WAC Lighting | Quest LEDme Quick Connect Pendant Light
$176.50 | YLighting
Corona Chrome Eighteen-Light 24-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Sterling Silver Seven-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 25W x 26H
Bellacor
Atlantis Tubs 3260VNAR Venetian 32 x 60 x 23 - Inch Rectangular Air Jetted Batht
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™