Brown/black spots/splotches on clothese after hot cycle

newbie_07February 3, 2013

My front loader Whirlpool Duet Sport washer stains clothes after a cycle that uses hot water. It doesn't happen every time. It happens about 1 out of every 3 loads. It does not happen if I wash using cold water. I am attaching some photos of damaged clothes.

I have changed the hoses in case the rubber was deteriorating.

I have ran several clean cycles. Once I used Affresh. I used bleach several times.

I took the rubber door seal/boot out and cleaned it. It did have a lot of gunk/ mold built up but now it's clean. It is stained but no residue rubs off when I rub it.

I took the back panel off and did not see any oil/grease anywhere.

We use only HE detergent; we do not use any fabric softener.

These are two possible explanations I've come across in chatting with various folks:

- The bearings need to be changed. To me, this doesn't seem likely since the washer is running smoothy and as far as I know, the bearings don't have any grease, etc in them.
- The rubber boot is deteriorating during the hot cycle and it needs to be cleaned. This seems possible. It's really the only explanation I can think of at this time.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gates1

My guess is, there is a lot of mold/soap residue buildup on the exterior drum. If you take a flashlight and hold it straight down in the drum holes, you can see the outter drum. I use to check my heater this way in my HE3T, its located on the bottom of the drum. I never had any build up in the 10 yrs I had my washer. I used to wash everything in warm or hot water mainly. It looks like the hot water is breaking up the residue and depositing on your clothes. Try running it on a sanitary cycle with some cascade in it and see if that helps

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:58AM
newbie_07

gates1,

I looked through the drum holes and didn't see any residue. As I mentioned, I ran several clean cycles using a variety of cleaners. Thanks to your tip, I know they did a good job.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:09PM
sshrivastava

For those stains to survive a detergent solution, I think they would have to be quite greasy. My vote is bearings or some kind of lubricant leak inside your machine.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:21PM
Laura517

I have a similar situation but it only happens once every 20 washes or so and it happens on a cold cycle. I am pretty sure it is build-up inside the drum, I have never been completely satisfied with my HE LG front loader. I have switched to Tide HE powder with color-safe bleach and it seems to have helped.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
LG/Kenmore Elite 5.2 washer & 9.0 Dryer
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!! Does anyone have any...
larsi_gw
Blinded by the technology and shiny bits
A couple of weeks ago my 20 yr old 22lb Admiral dryer...
mmmm12
Tide Turbo Clean Detergent
Has anyone tried the new tide turbo clean line. I saw...
harlowolivia
Favorite detergents again, please.
What are your favorite detergents (specify liquid or...
isherwood777
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
Sponsored Products
Runner Rug: Ainaloa Chocolate 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Red Vanilla Pure Vanilla Oval Serving Platter - TC000-712
$24.22 | Hayneedle
Bronx 7 1/2" Wide Black Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Serena & Lily Spade Pillow Covers
Serena & Lily
Brussels Pendant by Currey & Company
$1,740.00 | Lumens