Brown/black spots/splotches on clothese after hot cycle

newbie_07February 3, 2013

My front loader Whirlpool Duet Sport washer stains clothes after a cycle that uses hot water. It doesn't happen every time. It happens about 1 out of every 3 loads. It does not happen if I wash using cold water. I am attaching some photos of damaged clothes.

I have changed the hoses in case the rubber was deteriorating.

I have ran several clean cycles. Once I used Affresh. I used bleach several times.

I took the rubber door seal/boot out and cleaned it. It did have a lot of gunk/ mold built up but now it's clean. It is stained but no residue rubs off when I rub it.

I took the back panel off and did not see any oil/grease anywhere.

We use only HE detergent; we do not use any fabric softener.

These are two possible explanations I've come across in chatting with various folks:

- The bearings need to be changed. To me, this doesn't seem likely since the washer is running smoothy and as far as I know, the bearings don't have any grease, etc in them.
- The rubber boot is deteriorating during the hot cycle and it needs to be cleaned. This seems possible. It's really the only explanation I can think of at this time.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gates1

My guess is, there is a lot of mold/soap residue buildup on the exterior drum. If you take a flashlight and hold it straight down in the drum holes, you can see the outter drum. I use to check my heater this way in my HE3T, its located on the bottom of the drum. I never had any build up in the 10 yrs I had my washer. I used to wash everything in warm or hot water mainly. It looks like the hot water is breaking up the residue and depositing on your clothes. Try running it on a sanitary cycle with some cascade in it and see if that helps

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:58AM
newbie_07

gates1,

I looked through the drum holes and didn't see any residue. As I mentioned, I ran several clean cycles using a variety of cleaners. Thanks to your tip, I know they did a good job.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:09PM
sshrivastava

For those stains to survive a detergent solution, I think they would have to be quite greasy. My vote is bearings or some kind of lubricant leak inside your machine.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:21PM
Laura517

I have a similar situation but it only happens once every 20 washes or so and it happens on a cold cycle. I am pretty sure it is build-up inside the drum, I have never been completely satisfied with my HE LG front loader. I have switched to Tide HE powder with color-safe bleach and it seems to have helped.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
New Front Load Speed Queens
Hi everyone, we are replacing our old GE's- adding...
remodnana
Persil DuoCaps Made in Germany
So after my less than great results with the new "WalMart...
larsi_gw
Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load
Hi, I've been searching for the answer to this question...
jenmenke
Sponsored Products
Sun Shade for Rivera Teak Sling Lounge Chair
Signature Hardware
Modern Rectangular Black Organza Shade Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Robert Abbey | Real Simple Club Table Lamp
$156.20 | YLighting
Cambridge 901 5-piece Black Cherry Dining Set
Overstock.com
Gilda Floor Lamp
Lightology