Does your front loading washer have a filter?

eleenaFebruary 3, 2013

I was not sure any of them did till a friend of mine, who has LG 5 years newer than mine, said hers did.

It came up because I was washing floor mops with a lot of lint on them. After the wash cycle was finished, the mops were clean and there was no lint anywhere in the washer.

Where did it all go?

If it went down the drain, it might cause clogging sooner or later, right?

I think I want a washer with a filter. I have read the specs on two of my three my top contenders (Maytag and Electrolux) and couldn't find any mentioning of a filter.

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Frontloaders do not have the kind of active lint filters that toploaders had in the past. What they have is a strainer to protect the pump from stray objects (coins, screws, nails) and debris, and large amounts of lint/strings. It strains the water only when the machine drains, not during wash/rinse tumbling. Far as I'm aware, all frontloaders have strainers but not all of them are user-accessible if cleaning is needed.

Here's where the pump strainer is located on a Whirlpool Duet that I refurbished a couple months ago. It's behind the lower panel. Brands/machines that intend for the strainer to be accessed by the consumer have a small door in the lower panel.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 4:03PM
dadoes

And this is what I found caught in the strainer. :-)

The machine had been abused with carelessness and BAD usage habits.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 4:09PM
eleena

Thank you very much for clarification!

Do you by any chance know which washers have that little door in the lower panel?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:44PM
sparky823

Dadoes- I am surprised that Duet was draining the water out at all. That was a mess in there!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:37PM
herring_maven

eleena: "Do you by any chance know which washers have that little door in the lower panel?"

I cannot give you a list, but I can tell you that our Samsung '419 washer has that little door for the filter.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:33AM
dadoes

I don't intend for the pics above to be alarmist or turn people away from frontloaders. This machine was horribly abused and neglected by the user (although to be sure, that may be more typical than not). They apparently rarely checked pockets, the collection of debris in the pump trap included screws, gun pellets, chicken bones, paper & cellophane wrappers, what appeared to be a tampon applicator, all bound together with lint into the most foul-smelling mass imaginable. There was a camera memory card caught in the tub outlet hose leading to the trap. The bellows, drum, & outer tub were coated with mildew & scum. I suspect they ran a lot of cold washes, likely *never* used the Sanitary cycle (the machine has onboard heating), overdosed liquid detergent and softener, never used chlorine bleach, and *never* ran the machine's cleaning cycle which in this case is not on the cycle dial but is a special key sequence outlined in the instruction manual (Read the manual? Why? It's just a washing machine, everybody knows how to use a washing machine ....).

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:48AM
Cavimum

"(Read the manual? Why? It's just a washing machine, everybody knows how to use a washing machine ....)."

LOL
I think what you found in the trap and overall condition of the machine says it all.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:18AM
bonesoda

@dadoes: Wow that looks like the mission impossible trap. How did all those things make it through the tiny holes of the tub?! esp hard metal items?!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:55AM
dadoes

Reference the picture above. There's a small gap between edge of the drum and face of the outer tub. Small bits of debris can slip through there.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™