Help! I need somebody to help me with my layout.
Hi! My kitchen is approximately 11ft and 8 inches by 11 ft and 9 inches and is an L shape. Currently, it is an eat in kitchen and the table sits four. I would like to continue to have seating for four in the kitchen. In my new kitchen, I desperately need counterspace and a few more drawers. My kids 11 and 10 are often in the kitchen when I am there. I prefer not to move the window but it is not out of the question. I have an extra refrigerator in my basement so I do not feel the need to get a bigger refrigerator and loose counterspace (Oh, and my current frig is a side by side). I do stock up on food but I also have shelving in the basement for all the extra food that I can not fit upstairs so I would forgo a bigger pantry for more counterspace. I am seriously considering removing the wall between my kitchen and my dining room but am not set on this. I do not want to remove the wall between my kitchen and my living room. I cook a lot and am always running out the door for the next activity. I'm not the neatest person in the world so I would like to avoid people seeing my mess. I currently have a kitchen door leading out to my deck. However, a few years ago, I put in sliding glass doors out to my deck in my dining room so I no longer need the kitchen door. We also have one foot soffits running the entire L shape. We need to get a contractor to come in a punch a hole to see if we can remove it (or shorten it).
So far the only things I know for sure is that I am planning on white kitchen cabinets. Also, I plan on keeping my current refrigerator and possibly my stove to save a couple of bucks on this renovation. I've included a draft of my layout.
1) First, my biggest issue. Where or where do I put my microwave? I really want a vent but it looks like there is no place to put my microwave so I may be stuck with an OTR microwave. I need room on my counter for a coffee machine and toaster (because I use those every day). I thought if I had the space for a peninsula, I could put in a microwave drawer, but I can't seem to figure out a layout which would allow for that in my kitchen and continue to offer seating for 4 people.
2) Do I have room to put in a peninsula with seating for four? Probably counterheight so I would need a 15 inch overhang? Do I need 15 inches?
3) Should I remove the wall between my kitchen and dining room? If I put in a peninsula with seating, I think I have to in order for it to accomodate the seating. Also, I plan on removing my kitchen door since there is a sliding glass door in my dining room (about 2 feet away). The problem is that the kitchen door has glass in it and lets light into my kitchen. So if I remove it, I need to get more natural light in my kitchen somehow. If I do not remove the wall between the kitchen and DR, what about making a 1/2 wall or cut out?
4) For my 24 inch drawers, do you think I should do four drawers or five? what is more useful?
5) How much space is needed between the hood vent and the upper cabinets? I currently have two 33 inch cabinets flanking the vent hood, but it will decrease when I figure out how much room needs to be left between them.
6) For my upper corner, I plan on doing an asymetrical easy reach corner. Does anyone see a problem with have it longer on the first piece (28 inches) vs the second piece of the cabinet door that attaches to the cabinet (24 inches).
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time out to give me your thoughts.