Electric/Gas Oven

RenkosiewiczMay 11, 2012

I recently purchased a new stove with an electric/convection oven. For the last 25 years, I have had a gas oven. I first tried an easy chocolate layer cake and baked it on the regular bake setting (not convection). This is my go-to chocolate cake and I have made it the same way for many years. The layer on the left side did not raise to the same height as the layer on the left. I weighed the pans on my kitchen scale, so I know they were even. Also, the layers stuck in the bottom of the pan. I tried again and the same thing happened. Any ideas on what could be wrong.....? Also, would appreciate some input from you experienced bakers on electric versus gas ovens for baking....Thanks, Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Guessing the rising issue is due to uneven heating, the stuck issue because gas ovens have a moister atmosphere than electric.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 1:50AM
jasdip

I got a new stove in my apartment recently. I didn't like the way things were baking and tested it with an oven thermometer. It was out by 25 degrees.
I even bought a new oven thermometer, because I thought that was pretty strange.

The tech came out and sure enough it was.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 7:18AM
azzalea

It's not unusual for an oven to be off by 25 or more degrees. Every household should have and use an oven thermometer, IMO.

I don't care for electric ovens--although I do have one (wall oven) at the country house. It will become my secondary oven, once we move and I have the time and $$$ to replace my electric cooktop with a gas range.

You're going to have to get in the practice of rotating your pans halfway through the baking time, I think. I have to do that when baking cookies, because those on the lower rack back too quickly on the bottoms, while the top ones don't get done on the bottoms. It's not a big deal, just one of those things you get used to doing.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 1:10PM
Renkosiewicz

Thanks for all the help, people. I just think it will take a while to get used to. Barb

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™