Ceiling Mounted Air Intake?

bowyer123June 2, 2012

We are getting ready to install HVAC and the builder has recommended using ceiling-mounted air intakes rather than the traditional floor-mounted intakes. He claims this is a more efficient system. I'm not sure how the intakes on the ceiling will look, and if it will create dirty areas around the intake. 2-story house with three units, if that matters....

Is anyone familiar with this set up, and pro/cons?

Thanks~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Are you referring to the returns vents for the HVAC system? Where will the three units be located in the house?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 4:27PM
bowyer123

Yes, the return vents I believe they are called....these are the vents that are normally on the baseboard. The units are going to be mounted in the attic. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 7:57AM
mike_home

Return vents are too big to be installed on baseboard moldings. I think you are talking about the supply registers.

The return is usually installed on the wall near the ceiling. There should be no issue installing it in the ceiling.

Supply registers in the ceiling are a good placement for the AC, but not so good for heating. Cool air will sink, and warm air will rise. It will be more efficient in the summer, but less efficient in the winter. If the HVAC system is in the attic, then it is easier for the builder to install everything in the ceiling for the second floor. For the first floor it is more efficient if the HVAC systm is in the basement (assuming you have one), or on the first floor.

If you live in a warm climate this should be fine. If you are in area with cold winters, then you will be more comfortable if the supply registers are near the floor.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 9:33AM
bowyer123

Thanks Mike_Home!

Yes, I believe they are the supply registers. We are building on a slab foundation so all three units will be in the attic. And I live in a hot, humid climate with mild winters (West Tennessee). I can see how the ducts will be shorter, and hopefully less expensive to install. Our builder said this setup is good for this climate (8 months HOT, 4 relatively mild) and it will be more efficient. He plans to build all houses this way going forward.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™