Termostat wiring (4 wires with orange??)

cujosocalJune 7, 2011

After researching, it seems the normal color coding for a 4 wire system is R,G,Y,W... I don't have a white wire, appears to be orange instead! I have a Hunter 44110 that is replacing an old thermostat. The new unit had the folowing terminals: Rc/Rh (jumpered), G, Y, W,... So i hooked the wires up accordingly and hooking the orange to W (assuming they used orange wire instead of white)... turned the unit on and adjusted the temp on the thermostat. A/C seemed to kick in normally, but all that came out of the vents was warm air. I even waited a few minutes thinking it was just the residual warm air in the ducts. Any ideas of what went wrong??

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Below is a link which may help you.

Do you have a heat pump? An orange wire is usually the reversing valve for a heat pump. Connecting it to the W terminal is not going to work.

If you do have a heat pump, then check to see if your thermostat is compatible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermostat wiring

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 9:31AM
cujosocal

How can I tell if I have a heat pump? We're renting a duplex in AZ. The entire unit is on the roof...

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 12:23PM
weedmeister

what colors were connected to which screws on the old thermostat?

Red is power, Green is Fan, Yellow is 'turn on compressor' (for a heat pump, anyway), White is heat. There will be another wire for the reversing valve for a heat pump. Which probably doesn't matter since the Hunter 44110 doesn't support a heat pump.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 6:16PM
cujosocal

The old thermostat had exactly the same colored terminals as the wires... R,Y,G,O

I doubt I have a heat pump. The house is all electric.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 9:30AM
mike_home

If the unit is all electric, then it is highly likely you have a heat pump. The other possibilites would be an electric furnace or resistance baseboard heat.

Do you have the model number of the old thermostat? If yes, then do a Google search and see if it is compatible with a heat pump. If it is, you need to exchange the Hunter 44110 for another model.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 9:52AM
cujosocal

I can't find a manufacture label on the unit... I think it was taken off and the service company put their own tag on it.

Assuming I do have a heat pump. Would it make sense to only have these 4 wires (and no white) mentioned for both heating and cooling??

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 2:18PM
mike_home

For everything I have read, yes it makes sense that the orange wire replaces the white wire for a heat pump configuration.

The white wire is used to turn on the furnace for heat, and the yellow wire enables the condenser for cooling. But you have a heat pump, therefore when you are in heating mode, the thermostat will turn on the condenser (yellow), but it must also enable the reversing valve in the proper direction. The orange wire is used to control the reversing valve.

Call the Hunter technical support line at 1-888-830-1326 from 8am to 5pm Central time. They should be able to review this with you and guide on which thermostat is appropriate for your set up.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 2:53PM
weedmeister

Did the colored terminals on the old Tstat have labels? if so, what?

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 3:20PM
cujosocal

@weedmeister:

Yes... as mentioned above "The old thermostat had exactly the same colored terminals as the wires... R,Y,G,O"... (colored terminals=labeling)

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:47PM
weedmeister

So the old tstat had an "O" and a "W", and the Orange was connected to "O"? Then, yes this is a heat pump thermostat and you need to go get a different one than that Hunter.

Usually Heat Pumps also have Aux Heat. But you would probably never use it in Phoenix, and hence it may not be connected (W). Heat is activated by the reversing valve (O) which reverses the flow of the refrigerant through the system.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:56PM
cujosocal

So it turns out I do have a heat pump! I exchanged my thermostat for one that supports a heat pump (3M Filtrete). It had connections for all 4 colored wires. Works perfectly!

Thanks for all the help!

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:28AM
mike_home

I'm glad you got this resolved. Enjoy your new thermostat.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:34AM
weedmeister

And thanks for coming back and reporting the outcome.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Tranquility 27 annual maintenance
We've been using the company that installed it (new...
2ajsmama
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Sponsored Products
Chandelier
Lightology
Foscarini | Havana Outdoor Terra Bassa Floor Lamp
$925.00 | YLighting
Rachael Ray Dinnerware Rise White Stoneware 4-piece Mug Set
Overstock.com
Tudor Porch Light
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Kendal Lighting RK36 Series 3-Light 4 ft. Satin Nickel Track Lighting Kit RK36-S
Home Depot
Catnapper Hogan 9690 Microfiber Wall Hugger Recliner - 4542-4 2334-36
$649.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™