heat pump problem

netkliksJune 30, 2012

Have Goodman heat pump. It is a year old. Have a strange problem during this heat wave. When the outside temperature

is over 90 degrees, the outside unit doe not work properly.

It will not run very long and it will kick off and on every few minutes. Also the inside unit will not drain until the temperature drops below 90 degrees. As soon as the outside temp drops, everything works perfectly.The unit drains the moisture and it runs normal as it is supposed to. Please solve this mystery for me.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

The compressor coming on and running for a little bit and then shutting down is called "short cycling." It's typically caused by low refrigerant but can be other things as well. You're going to need a refrigeration mechanic.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 6:28AM
tigerdunes

The situation you describe is not normal. You need a service call from a qualified tech to check this out.

IMO

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:01AM
mike_home

If the heat pump is a year old then it is still under warranty. Have you called the company who did the installation? What was their response?

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:33AM
busboy

I just had a problem with one of my units going dead for an hour or so then comimg back to life and operating normally. New unit too! The condensation line was blocked near the end of the run and the pan was filling up shutting the system down,like it's supposed too. Then it would slowly drain, the float would drop letting the system re-activate. Maybe?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™