How do you clean behind your stacked W&D?

eleenaFebruary 6, 2013

My W&D are on the floor (not stacked) but they are heavy and I haven't pulled them out to clean for a couple of years. The space is so tight that pulling them out is a major hassle. I try to vacuum behind them from the top but it is not very effective. It "kills" me to see the dirt around them.

I am thinking of getting a new pair and stacking them but that would make cleaning behind impossible, wouldn't it?

What do you do?

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbfirewife

Boy do I ever feel you pain... I think all dryers have some lint that bypasses the ductwork and that is what accumulates behind them. Mine gets absolutely disgusting. Luckily I do have a counter top beside mine to sit on and reach back there with the vacuum hose... but even with that there are tight spaces I cannot get into. I have a swiffer with the extension handle and it works really good to get into those spaces. The handle not only extends to a pretty good length, the end can be chanced to different angles. You might try one of those. If I take the lint filter out that is inside the dryer I can also see accumulated lint in that part of the dryer and the swiffer sticks down into that tight space good also. Here while back I accidentally dropped a light bulb and guess where it went and broke?...It was heck vacuuming that from behind the washer and dryer...

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:17PM
eleena

"Disgusting" doesn't come close to describing it, LOL. I am dreading the cleaning part after we pull the W&D out in a couple of week.

I am not sure about lint escaping but all electrical appliances attract a lot of dust, IME. Computers require almost daily dusting around them. :-(

Why did I not think of the swifter???

Thank you so much!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:11PM
weedmeister

At one time I thought someone made a special vacuum attachment for this. Essentially a narrow wand about 4' long.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:35PM
doral_gw

You can make a wand using PVC. Go to the plumbing dept. at Lowes and look at their fittings. That is what I did awhile back when I needed a long reach.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:33PM
eleena

Doral,

Could you please post a picture of yours - unless it is too much to ask? :-)

I am not very handy and I cannot visualize what you are describing.

TX!!!

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:36PM
weedmeister

He's suggesting going to the plumbing section at the big box store and find a piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as your vacuum cleaner pipes.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™