4 ton coil for 5 ton unit

iggieJune 18, 2012

Today at the local coffee stop for local HVAC techs quite a discussion was going on. The group was discussing a job just completed by one of the group. He had installed a 5 ton used Trane unit customer had bought someplace to replace a 4 ton Goodman unit where compressor had thrown craps. He stated setup would work fine as he had thoroughly flushed system, charged the systen to proper level for the 4 ton coil said unit was cooling fine and drawing a bit lower than rated amps. Most disagreed with him and told him setup will only cause trouble in the future. I tend to agree, however stayed out of the discussion. Would like to hear what some of you experts think about this. Just curious, Iggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Depends

I would like more details.

You do see 4 ton coils as an AHRI match on a 5 ton condenser. Usually though this is not the best match. Customer should get better dehumidification only if sized correctly.

I think first it would be nice to know that both Trane condenser and coil are a match. But probably more important will customer have short cycling by going up in size if his cooling load did not call for it.

Usually jobs like this do not have a happy ending.

IMO

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 6:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heatseeker

Cheapness and ac don't mix very well.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™