Quiet washing machine recommendation

DanceingFebruary 17, 2014

Hi,
I've been impressed by some really intelligent answers here, and now I need help.
I'm looking for a 24" wide electric washing machine for a 3rd floor. I don't care whether it is front or top load, and I don't care whether it stacks or is unitized. My biggest concern is about noise and vibration during the spin cycle. I run a vacation rental on the floor below, and I really don't want the folks who stay here to be bothered by machine noise from above.
Additional info: I am not able to decouple the ceiling below. I've triple-braced the floor joists and insulated with Sound Cow. There's a layer of 3/4" plywood, and I can add a layer of Hardi-board under the tile, but I'm still worried about machine noise.
Suggestions please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jstagaman

I live in a 1917 apartment with rather less than ideal wood flooring and have a 24" FL washer. It's placed by a load-bearing wall at a corner, the floor has not been especially reinforced, and my downstairs neighbors say that the rarely notice it.
However, despite my personal preference for front loaders, if you main concern is reducing noise due to vibration, a top loader may be a safer bet. A front loader does seem to be more likely to have vibration issues on less-than-ideal flooring.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™