Leftover Cooking Oil

brwvabellApril 12, 2009

I know that this may sound like a crazy question but .. What do you do with your leftover cooking oils?

How do You dispose of it?

For instance, I have a skillet that is half full of used cooking oil that I made french fries in.

Bren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I pour it into a throw away jar with a lid and put it into my garbage.
But, since it's a vegetable product, it's OK to put into the compost....."they" say...
Linda C

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 12:52AM
mustangs81

If I'm not going to use it again, I do as Linda does. My best friend use to make me crazy when I would see her pour it down the drain!!!

I use high heat oil and I use it again depending on what I fried in it. I use a funnel with a built in strainer to pour the oil back into the original bottle, then store it in the fridge.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 7:10AM
nancylouise_gw

If it was just used for french fries it would get used again in our house. Strain out the chunkies through cheese cloth and return it to the bottle. When done with it, it gets poured into a doubled grocery bag and tossed into the garbage (we recycle our glass and plastic containers here in town).

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 7:37AM
Bizzo

I don't fry often, and I have leftover oil in a skillet too... And I was wondering the same thing... so great timing for me on your question Bren.

How long can I just leave it on the counter, if at all, after I've used it? Does it need to be refrigerated if I'm going to use it again? How often can I use it again (I haven't used it for fish...so it's not taking on any distinct flavor)

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 10:49AM
lindac

Oil that has been heated, needs to be stored in the refrig, the heat makes it breakdown faster and so taste rancid sooner.
And I throw that 2 Tabl;espoons of oil grease down thed rain....lots of soap and hot water and it's gone.
It is biodegradeable....unlike mineral oil...I mean what do you think happens to the oil in the corn that get left in the fields? Or the olives that fall from the tree?
Linda C

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 11:39AM
brwvabell

lindac,nancylouise,mustangs and bizzo

Thank You for your replies to my question.

You have given me some ideas and.. I never knew that you could just 'compost' cooking oil 8-)

Bren

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 7:41PM
rachelellen

If I don't happen to have a throw away container available, I just pour it out in the bushes. It doesn't hurt anything. Of course I rarely deep fry...I don't suppose I'd want to dump gallons of it out there!

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Glow in the dark Mushrooms No longer a secret to scientists
If you see something glowing in the forest, don’t...
hellenabcd
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Sponsored Products
Confetti Classic Floral Prep Bowl Set
$9.99 | zulily
Oxford Savannah Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - BROWN/RED
$899.00 | Horchow
Vac-Snap Bags - Quart
$11.95 | FRONTGATE
Whynter Replacement Carbon Filter for ARC-12S Portable Air Conditioner Multicolo
$20.00 | Hayneedle
Mamagreen | Oko Luxury Table
YLiving.com
Oxford Savannah Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - BROWN/RED
$249.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™