Central AC not working

Sgall21June 12, 2011

Hi, The outdoor unit of my central AC buzzes and the outside fan does not come on. Any idea what the problem could be and how much it would be to have it repaired?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

My first guess would be the 'contactor' (relay) used to turn on the fan. I had a bug crawl into mine once and give its life to keep my AC from working. It's a pretty simple fix.

Don't let the compressor run without the fan. This is very stressful for the compressor.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BillDitRight

When it first starts up are you getting some cool air coming out of your registers?? You may just have a seized fan motor if the unit is buzzing but the fan isn't turning. BE CAREFUL... but try push starting the fan with a stick when the unit is on... you may have to remove the hail guard to get at it. Sometimes a single push start can unseize the fan for good, other times you may just find out that the fan motor is bad and needs to be replaced.

To weedmeister's point when you remove the cover look for a spring loaded button that should be held down when the cover's on that allows the fan to turn on, make sure it's depressing properly.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™