fisher paykel dryer too hot

buckieepFebruary 6, 2013

Our Fisher Paykel dryer recently (after 11 years of faithful service) started getting way too hot, so that any metal will literally burn me when unloading. I turned it to NO heat and still got a burn (blister and all) from a metal stud on a pair of jeans. Obviously, I am afraid to use it! I am wondering if anyone knows what the issue may be, and if it is an easy fix. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

You didn't provide a model number or say if it's a gas or electric unit.

Could be an operating thermostat stuck, not cycling the heat off at the target temperature.

Also could be the heating element shorted to ground (if electric), which can cause the unit to heat continuously, even if the timer is Off, unless it's disconnected from power.

If this situation is allowed to continue without repair, it may blow a non-resettable protective thermal fuse and either not heat or not operate at all until properly repaired.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:25AM
buckieep

Sorry, it is a DE05 (electric) and it is NOT hot when not in use. Does that mean it is just a stuck thermostat? Thanks!!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:43AM
dadoes

Yes could be a stuck thermostat. Only way to know for sure is get into the machine and test/diagnose the suspect components.

F&P frontload dryers on the U.S. market are sourced from GE (Camco), mechanically identical to many GE and Hotpoint units. Check YouTube for videos on disassembly and troubleshooting.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:54AM
buckieep

I will check it out, thanks dadoes!!!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
front loading washer doesn't get clothes clean
8 years ago I bought a GE profile front loading washing...
slogan3561
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™