What to do with sweet pistachio butter?

gellchomApril 6, 2013

My nice friend brought me a gift from her recent trip to Germany: a jar of pistachio butter, because she knows I love nuts.

It's very smooth and creamy, but also much sweeter than I would have guessed. I had some on some whole wheat challah this morning, and it was too sweet for me for breakfast. I think I would have preferred it with more salt, less sugar.

So what can I do with this lovely stuff? Suggestions? Thanks in advance for what I know will be great ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

When I did a search I found the link below with all kinds of recipes using pistachio butter. I hope there is something there that will help you out.

I would smear it on pancakes or French toast and try it as a substitute for peanut butter in a "One Minute Peanut Butter Cake", which is one of those make-in-a-cup recipes you bake in a microwave. I've also used almond butter and sunflower seed butter in the recipe.

One Minute Peanut Butter Cake - makes 1 serving
(30-seconds to mix + 30-seconds to bake = 1-minute)

1 egg, beaten
1 T. brown sugar (I use palm sugar)
1/2 t. baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon flour (I use almond flour)
2 T. peanut butter

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, or small bowl, whisk together ingredients. Pour batter into a greased ramekin. Microwave for 30-seconds. Turn out onto a serving dish. If you'd like, you can frost it with a mixture of 1 t. milk and 1 T. powdered sugar.
--------------------------------------------------------

I might even try it in the "famous" 3- or 4-ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie recipe as a substitute for the peanut butter. You could make 1/2 a recipe as a trial. To get 1/2 an egg, mix a whole egg lightly with a fork and use 1/2 of it for the recipe (use the other half in scrambled eggs). Half-eggs are a cinch if you use powdered eggs.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
--------------------------------------------------

This is my low-glycemic, high-fiber, version of the recipe:
1 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. palm sugar
1 egg
1 T. agave nectar
4 T. almond flour
2 T. hi-maize resistant starch
1 t. soda

Mix well with an electric mixer. Bake on a parchment paper lined or ungreased baking sheet. Press dough balls with a fork to make the traditional cross-hatch marks on top. Bake in a 350-degree oven 8-10 minutes, or until set and slightly browned on the edges.
-------------------------------------------------------

Paleo recipes use a variety of nut butters in grain-free breads, crackers, and other baked goods. That would be another avenue to explore. It also sounds like an ingredient the raw food crowd would use. I bet it gets added to smoothies and sauces.

Let us know what you use it in.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: ifood.tv

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:33AM
colleenoz

Sandwich plain cookies together with it (maybe dip them in chocolate too :-) )? Cupcake/cake filling?

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:45AM
triciae

Sounds like it would be good used in a shortbread cookie as part of the butter.

/tricia

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:51AM
caliloo

Maybe use some Asian/Thai type favors and use it as a spicy sweet nutty sauce over grilled chicken skewers - like a Satay?

You have some great ideas above too....

alexa

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:12AM
dcarch7

How about getting more pistachio nuts, and use a blender to blend more nuts into the butter to make it less sweet?

How about making pistachio ice cream?

dcarch

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:21AM
jadeite

I'd try using it like Nutella for which there are thousands of recipes online. Use it in pound cake with a pistachio swirl, or ice cream or gelato as dcarch suggested. Or in a filling for a layer cake, or in cheesecake as a topping or swirl. I wouldn't dilute it too much since pistachios have a subtle flavor, more so than Nutella.

Cheryl

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:35AM
cloudy_christine

How about granola? Mix the pistachio butter with some oil, and leave out the honey or maple syrup.
Pistachio ice cream sounds like a great idea too. Haagen-Daz makes pistachio ice cream but it's not available here, and every time we are at my daughter's in Connecticut we eat vast quantities of it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:53AM
gellchom

You guys ROCK!!!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:29PM
westsider40

Pistachio croissants. Check out the epicurious day old almond croissants and sub pistachio and sprinkle some real pistachios. Or buy kosher puff pastry, use the gift and sprinkle with real pistachios. Neither are t and t but sound good. They need a delicate foil. Perhaps follow your gut and add a touch of salt to the butter, too.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Photobucket Photos - Plllog - Annie
Hey there, I didn't forget to post PB photos for you....
solsthumper
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™