Chocolate Cream Filled Easter Eggs

ann_tApril 9, 2012

These Easter Eggs are so good and very easy to make.

They are a big hit with Matt, Dana and Moe and I have a few neighbours that also look forward to them each year.

Chocolate Easter Eggs

Source: Monique

The recipe can be made in advance and refrigerated.

1.5 lbs of icing sugar

1/4 lb butter melted

1/2 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 Tbsps. corn syrup

1 Tbsp. vanilla

1/2 lb of unsweetened or semi sweet chocolate melted

The original recipe called for adding paraffin. Monique didn't use the paraffin so neither did I.

Mix first five ingredients with Kitchenaide or other mixer. Shape like an egg and place in fridge till hard.

Melt chocolate. Dip each egg into melted chocolate, and place on tray lined with parchment or wax paper.

Colour some of the filling with yellow food colour if you would like a "yolk" centre. Store in tins.. between sheets of waxed paper when cold..

Note: Double the recipe to use up the full can of Condensed Milk. A double batch makes approximately 32 two ounce eggs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ynnej

You know, I'd seen the pic of these on my reader and thought they looked awesome, but figured they'd be too much work. This looks like a really simple and foolproof recipe. Will have to try it soon.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 1:42AM
centralcacyclist

Aren't these pretty. I'd love to make them for fun some day. Do you ever put nuts or coconut in them?

Eileen

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 8:41AM
coconut_nj

They are very good and so easy. I made them last year and we really enjoyed them. Christy was off last week and by the time I would have made candy, my shoulders were all used up, so none this year. I did make some of mine with coconut. I just kneaded the coconut into them. Worked great. Even made a few for me with what you'd consider double coconut and still worked fine. Oh, and I did make one big one. When I was a kid we always got one big one that we'd slice. That was fun to recreate that memory.

Some of last years batch.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:26PM
donna_in_sask

I'm intrigued. What is the filling like? Soft and fluffy, or quite dense and fudge-like? Is it cloyingly sweet?

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:46PM
annie1992

coconut, we also got those big chocolate eggs that were sliced and eaten. Always "fruit and nut" but there was no fruit that I recognized. (grin) I hated 'em, but I'd eat Ann T's!

Annie

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:13AM
ann_t

Coconut, I like the idea of coconut. Maybe next year.

Donna, they are pretty sweet. Like a Laura Secord Cream Filled Easter Egg.

I dipped the eggs in Bernard Callebaut Milk Chocolate. Using a quality chocolate really makes a difference.

Ann

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:41PM
woodie2

Ann, I'll be making these for sure next year, thanks!

Coconut, maybe its a Jersey thing! We always had a big coconut egg that we sliced up too. My Mom always got it from Bischoff's in Teaneck, homemade ice cream and candy! The egg for her and me and the black jelly beans for my Dad. (And other goodies too of course.) Thanks for the memory :)

(And the nice thing is that I just looked it up and Bischoff's is still there and apparently still quaint and with homemade goodies.)

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 5:29PM
dcarch7

Ann and Coconut, those are wonderful looking creations. They make Easter Holiday feel like a Holiday.

dcarch

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™