undermount vs self-rimming

chloe_s_momJanuary 12, 2009

We're moving into our new house soon, and I wanted to replace with counters w stone or quartz (another posting on this subject to follow). I had my heart set on the Kohler Smart divide sink, but just noticed that for undermount installation, it requires a base cabinet of 36", and ours is 32". The options would be:

- install the sink as self-rimming instead

- or, replace the sink cabinet and the weird narrow one beside it (approx 6") with a larger sink cabinet.

Thoughts? Does anyone think that self-rimming is a bit of crime on stone countertops?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
astridh

I think that an undermount sink looks better, but even more importantly, it's so much easier to clean. I am not sure how much use you can get out of a 6" wide lower cabinet, anyway. I would definitely go for the larger sink cabinet.

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 12:10PM
jimandanne_mi

It may be a bit of a crime to put a self-rimming sink into granite, but I did it with both sinks in a nice-sized kitchen. I'd rather have the water go back into the sink instead of on the granite when my hands are wet and I drip all over the handle. Dumb reason. But I also don't mind drop ins and don't like the scuz that can collect between the countertop and the undermount sink. And I guess I just basically don't trust an undermount over the long run.

Anne

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 4:45PM
supremesurface

If you are considering granite or quartz, talk with your local granite fabricator, cabinet company or plumbing supplier. A good place to look for sinks is faucetdirect.com, they might have a similar sink but in the 32" size. If you find a sink that is just a little to big, sometimes the cabinet walls can be modified. But 4" is a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Countertops

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 5:02PM
chloe_s_mom

thanks everyone! My current thoughts: get a butcher block top for the sink area (it is a small island), live with the self rimming, get the feel for things, see if I use the small cabinet (if not, it may come out!), and then scope out stone for the rest of the counters.....

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
thoughts about Grabill and/ or Superior Woodcraft kitchen cabinets
Hi, everyone. Does anyone here have experience with...
katherine10583
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™