Options for house with no A/C?

likeatortoiseJune 7, 2012

I'm planning to sell my house in Southern NY and it stands out from similar listings because it has no A/C (has oil based hot water baseboard heat). The house is naturally cool and doesn't really need it unless you hate heat--which some people do. What would be the quickest and cheapest way to give the house some A/C so as not to scare off buyers? (Window units would not add curb appeal so I wouldn't consider those).

It's a centre hall colonial, about 3000sq ft with a semi finished basement and unfinished attic. The mini splits sound interesting but he units are every bit as unattractive as window units, so those don't really seem like an option, unless you can bury them in the ceiling or something. Also, in a house this size it seems like it might cost as much as a conventional system.

I'd appreciate any advice on options!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

If all the bedrooms are on the second floor, then I suggest installing an air handler in the attic and installing the registers and returns in the ceiling. Cooling the second floor will make sleeping comfortable on hot nights. The cool air will fall to the first floor which will make it more comfortable than it is now.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 9:45PM
juliekcmo

Agree with Mike above.

My house in Kansas City has the air handler in the attic, and a boiler for our main source of heat. We do have a large return in the ceiling of the upstairs hallway, and ductwork running to the main level as well. No AC in the basement.

We got a heat pump 2 years ago when our AC needed to be replaced. That is the what I would recommend if you were doing this for yourself staying in the house. Because with the HP, you have fast responsive heat for spring and fall nights when it is in the 50s at night and warmer during the day. In those conditions the house gets cold at night, and then the boiler comes on. It takes a couple of hours until it really feels warm and by then it's morning again and the boiler is off again.

Will you electrical panel support the adding of any AC? Something to consider.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 10:01PM
likeatortoise

This sounds like great advice. I can also picture a duct coming down through a closet on the upper floor to put some cool air right into the kitchen on the first floor. The panel has plenty of room to add circuits and the house is only 15 years old so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to call some local companies today. Much appreciated!!

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
HVAC billing question
Question for the pros...... So I had a faulty capacitor...
spe720
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Maytag/Nordyne/Nortek HVAC
Wanted to share my HVAC experience. Hopefully save...
bgfuller
Sponsored Products
Nolan Upholstered Bed - 900-901KQ
$772.00 | Hayneedle
Celina Four-Light Polished Chrome Island Pendant with Copper Glass
$390.00 | Bellacor
Louvered Bench
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Neptune | Bora Corner Mass-Air Tub
$3,637.50 | YBath
The Sole Secret Shoe Storage Bench - Sand
Overstock.com
Ethan Address Plaque Small
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Elk Lighting Celina 5-Light Chandelier in Dark Rust & Autumn Glass
Beyond Stores
Americh Catalina 6642 Tub (66" x 42" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™