washer brands

phrogFebruary 1, 2014

I've been mentally editing my list of FL washer brands as I read the "Never Buy ___!" comments here. I'm at the point where I'd worry about any of the ones I was considering (LG, Maytag, Samsung in the $1,000 range).

Even more confusing, LG has the highest reliability rating in CR, but also seems to have the most warnings here about poor quality parts and lack of repair people.

My hunch is that I could almost toss a coin to choose brand, but I should buy the best, longest extended warranty I can find.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchenkat

The most reliable residential brand with the longest warranty is Speed Queen. Their home laundry products can even be used in commercial settings without voiding the warranty. I don't think any other residential brands allow for commercial use.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herring_maven

phrog, here's a hint: It is not which brands have failures, but how, those times that they fail, they have those failures.

Looking at the data, we saw that the majority of failures reported for Samsung washers were for control motherboard failures, and they occurred in areas with "dirty" electrical power. So we purchased a Samsung washer, and, before we plugged it in, we put a Tripp-Lite "SpikeCube" (less than $10) in the mains socket to isolate the control electronics from the spikes and surges in the line feed. We have had no problems with the washer since installing it three years ago.

You may find similarly easy fixes to the types of failures that other brands experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripp-Lite Spike Cube

This post was edited by herring_maven on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 23:04

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™