12kg washing machine

r2149February 10, 2013

I am living in England and I am going to purchase a 12kg washing machine. What size is this (cu.ft.) compared to an American washing machine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OneBigMess

I'm pretty sure 12kg is about double, or even triple the capacity of most american brand models.

I myself have a Whirlpool Duet, and it just barely has enough room to hold a comforter. I'm pretty sure it holds 6kg.. so your machine should be awesome.

Edit- I just went and checked, and mine holds 3.8 cubic feet. Hope this helps :)

This post was edited by OneBigMess on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:11

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 1:07PM
whirlpool_trainee

Don't worry, OneBigMess, any 27 inch US washer will be bigger than what's available in Europe. Your Whirlpol Duet is also available as Whirlpool Dreamspace in the UK and is labeled 11 kilos (24 lbs).

The capacity claims we have here as are grossly over-rated. Both LG and Samsung sell washers with a 12 kilo capacity at a drum volume of only about 80 liters or 2.8 cu.ft! If one would apply that crazy Euro standard to the 5 cu.ft. American Mega-Capacity washer by LG, it would mean the machine could wash 21 kilos or 46 lbs!

European washer get by with these capacity claims by extending cycle times to three hours and more so the massively stuffed drum has any chance of getting the clothes clean. Balancing the load for spin is a whole different story...

Anyway, to answer the original question: both Samsung's and LG's 12 kilo washers have a drum volume of roughly 2.8 cubic feet. If you want a larger drum you'll have to get the Whirlpool Dreamspace - but it's wider and deeper than any other European domestic washer.

Here is an internal shot of the 11 kilo LG: the tub is so big... no wonder the user complains about failing spin cycles.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: LG washer tub

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:09PM
lee676

Still think "Dreamspace" is a better name for a bed than a washing machine....

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 2:33PM
whirlpool_trainee

Probably because the tub size allows you to wash things you've never dreamt about...

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™