Dehumidifier as dryer?

starraffyFebruary 5, 2014

Who's using their dehumidifier for drying clothes as well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whirlpool_trainee

Switzerland does. They have rooms dedicated to drying clothes with wall-mounted dehumidifiers.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 5:27PM
linus2003

Yes I do have a dehumidifier as a dryser but also have normal dryer.
I want to hang alot of clothes and that cuts down the time it takes to dry.
I have had one for over 10 years now and just bougt the second one wich is alot better. The fan in it is so strong so it moves the air in the room much faster so a load of laundry will dry in about 6 hours instead of days otherwise.
I do recomend it alot if u wanna cut down the use of power because they are alot cheaper to run than a dryer.
//

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 5:28PM
starraffy

whirlpool_trainee , so a lot of people have been doing it, I'm planning to have on my own too..

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 9:18PM
starraffy

poppel25, really? so its cheaper running a dehumidifier than a dryer if based on the energy consumption. i am buying one cause i want my clothes and linen to dry fast given my space is quite small. what have you got? I had one years ago but i left it in my mom's house.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 9:22PM
Cavimum

Dehumidifiers have a compressor that blows out warm air. Sort of like standing behind a window unit air conditioner, outside. They also don't last as long as they used to. Now more cheaply made, like all "disposable" appliances. (Grrr.....). we've had to replace our basement unit every three years.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 2:29PM
linus2003

I've got a wood's dehumidifier made in canada. If you go to woods.se and change the language to english you can read it. I'm in Sweden so thats the default setting of the website. The model I have can be found on amazon.com if you are in the us.
Model being:
Heaven Fresh NaturoPure 45 Pints (20L) Dehumidifier HF 610 with Activated Carbon Filter and Direct Drain Option
On woods website the model are mdc16.
my previuswas also a woods and that lasted for 10 years before a got a new one.
I really likethis one. If the space are small everything will dry rather fast. It will not be as fast as a dryer, just remember that.
//BR

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 4:38PM
Pat

I use a dehumidifier in the basement to dry certain clothes only in the summer. In the winter it seems the heat from the furnace vents in the basement do the trick. I assume our whole house furnace humidifier fills up the basement in the winter, so using a dehumidifier seems counter productive. I didn't know so many other people did this too.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 3:30PM
GlenHoffman

Yes, I use dehumidifier for drying my clothes. Dehumidifier can be an exceptionally successful system for drying garments inside and its turning into an alternative option to tumble drying.

Bookmark   January 8, 2015 at 6:13AM
mlrprinceton

They're better than a dryer for delicate sweaters, and better than simply waiting forever for sweaters to air dry. I used to have a drying rack set up in front of a dehumidifier and bras, sweaters, other delicate items all got thrown on it--dry in a matter of hours, not days, and in perfect condition.
IMO you can't do without a dryer too, unless you like stiff jeans and waiting a long time for heavy clothes and comforters to dry.

Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™