Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer - Natural & Rich!

kellyengOctober 10, 2012

I'm posting this here because I seem to remember a few people looking for an alternative.

My Dr. suspects I have too much internal inflammation so I'm trying to keep it low through nutrition and there are studies that indicate dairy as an inflammation culprit. I'm totally off dairy except for half and half in my coffee. I just can't do without it. So I did some research and came up with this recipe:

1 can (14oz.) coconut milk

1 egg

2 oz. coconut oil

Combine the milk and egg in a blender. Start blending, add the oil slowly to emulsify. It should be thick and frothy. Once chilled, it will be more like thin whipped cream. Keep in the refrigerator up to a week and spoon into coffee.

It's very rich and creamy which is what I'm looking for. However, if you let your coffee cool, it will form a film on top and may separate a little.

This is not calorie friendly at 80 calories for two tablespoons but I'm willing to allow for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judithn

I'm guilty of licking raw cookie batter off a spoon and haven't ever gotten sick (yet) but does the raw egg part of the recipe concern you?

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 5:47PM
kellyeng

I have no problem eating raw pasteurized eggs. But if you do, egg replacer would probably work fine although it might not be as thick and rich.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 6:05PM
neetsiepie

Oh if only someone could come up with a powdered version. I'm hooked on that stuff. It's horribly bad, I know, but I can't stand my regular coffee without it. I drink my lattes with soy...I wonder if your creamer would work with soy milk?

As for eggs...those sold in grocery stores are pasturized, no need to worry about raw consumption. It's the home-grown, fresh, delish eggs that are the problem.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:31AM
tinam61

I know pasterized eggs are supposed to be safe, but I cannot eat/drink raw eggs! I rarely drink coffee, so creamer is not an issue for me.

Kelly - I happened to see a blip where diet for imflammation is going to be on Dr. Oz I believe it is - tomorrow. I do not remember the name of the doctor who will be speaking on the topic. Hope you see this - you may want to watch the program.

tina

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 4:25PM
gibby2015

Fortunately I like my coffee black so I'm spared those extra calories - except for the occasional non-fat Starbucks mocha.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 5:38PM
kellyeng

Tina, I missed it but I think I can go to the website for video. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Ikea mattresses
We need to get a new twin mattress for my DS (9). ...
jlc712
The size of toilet paper...so much smaller now!
I know, who wants to talk about toilet paper??? LOL!...
olliesmom
help with retudorfying my house one step at a time
My front steps have succumb to the coldest February...
roarah
Abandoned Mansions
I think abandoned places are so interesting. Even the...
jlc712
Repurposed Wallpaper
I DON'T KNOW WHY but I save a roll of wallpaper all...
mustangs81
Sponsored Products
Tobia Memory Plus Eco-Superior 11-inch Queen-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Giselle Chandelier
Lightology
Lanai Area Rug
Grandin Road
Madeli Milano 48" Double Bathroom Vanity for X-Stone Integrated Basins - Ash Gre
Modern Bathroom
Black Outdoor Wall Sconce
$135.00 | Bellacor
Everstone 14 3/4" High Black Outdoor Post Lantern
$82.91 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™